would like to know what kind he is

Status
Not open for further replies.

stangant

This is bender, he is getting older now and still has soft skin and very few spike locations. He had a lot more red/orange and it is fading with age unfortunately but just wondering what kind of dragon he is.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....well, you probably know that it's a leatherback. Other than that, it can't be known from the picture. If the nails are totally clear with no little black line it would be a hypo as well. Black eyes would mean it's a transluscent [ trans.] By the way, if that's crushed walnut in the tank, you might want to get rid of it. Beardies can accidentally eat it + it can easily cause impaction + death. Just Google " impaction from crushed walnut " and you'll see some bad reports. You can use paper towels on the floor while he's young, then newspaper, non adhesive shelf liner or tile.

stangant

Original Poster
so a leather back but what does that mean, what is the type... like the more common is central Australian dragons. I'm thinking it's part of that group but not sure. He just got in black nails and has brown eyes.

As for the crushed walnut it was the replacement for calcium sand that I read would kill im. I don't want an ugly house for him, just laying down paper or tile is fantastically ugly and would seem to make the lizard depressed. I go for a more natural look with climbing branches, holes and provide other places where his prey can hide and make his hunt more interesting.

I was talking with my local pet shop and he has a sand that is perfect micro balls so that they don't bind in the belly at all. I may try that but for now he isn't eating the media.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. You could use tile for subtrate and the reason loose subtrate is not recommened not only do beardies lick everything and can get itthat way. It also harbors bacteria from their waste.

stangant

Original Poster
You are not posting information related to the topic please move on.

Although as I have said that is ugly and unatueral to have tial or anything other then a sand.

Jaycies

I think actually folks on here are trying to help and give advice. I know I listen (by reading) every post and will certainly do what they advise me to do. After all, they know much more than I do!

What your beardie is, won't matter soon if you don't take him off the walnut. It will kill him. I would be happy to help you when you save your beardie. Thanks

Mistyck

Extreme Poster
stangant":285lvlvt said:
You are not posting information related to the topic please move on.

Although as I have said that is ugly and unatueral to have tial or anything other then a sand.

Rude much? Your dragon type has already been addressed. It is a leatherback. Other than that it is a Pogona Vitticeps.

People were just giving friendly suggestions, if you don't like it, then don't complain if something happens to your dragon later. :?

PintoBeanDragon1000

Hatchling Member
Your going for a natural look but the thing is they dont live on walnut shells or sand. They live on hardened clay and dirt rocks grasses and branches. Not a few inches of sand. You said the pet store person told you it was fine.Well for future reference, not all pet store workers know what the heck they are talking about. I was told to feed my hatchling MEALWORMS. Hello recipe for death. They kept him on sand in the store. Told me to use a coil UVB which is hard on their eyes. I recommend Arcadia lights its what I use. He was also riddled with pinworms and coccidia and they said neither where any big deal but from what I understand coccidia will kill them and it was "no big deal''. I use tile for my beardies it keeps their nails trimmed and they can rub on it to remove shed.
You shouldn't want your cage to "not look ugly" the bearded dragon most likely wont know the difference or care. It's you who doesn't want unsightly paper towel. Your cage should be functional and safe! Lowes will cut tile to the size of you cage. Don't use anything with an adhesive on the bottom.
The walnut or sand or calcium sand can and will kill your beardie. If you want your beardie to stay alive and healthy get a proper substrate. When he eats his food if its going across the walnut he can get a whole mouth full of the walnut stuff and then bam you have a dying beardie who needs an expensive operation to save his/her life or you can watch them die slowly and very painfully.
People on here are trying to give you good advice, some people on here have had beardies for 20+ years. My herpetologist (someone who went to college for 6+ years coming out with a degree and knowing what reptiles need and they work with reptiles and knows more than a pet store worker) recommended using tile when I used reptile carpet. It's your choice to follow advice or not its your dragons life at risk. I hope I can speak for everyone here, we just want your beardie to be safe, happy and well cared for. Along with helping the handle understand the dangers of what their doing or praising them for their great husbandry. It just depends on the situation.
These are my cages.

I think they are very nice looking cages, they are functional, safe and they do look good but I did have paper towel in both of them even then they didnt look bad really at all.

This is when I first got the cage but the dragon was not in it yet. I just got the tiles yesterday and have had the cage for about a month.

Again no one is trying to be mean they are trying to help you and your beardie.

stangant

Original Poster
Thanks pintobean, I will look into a tile like you have in that first picture. I may do a 70-30 tank though due to the way my lizard sleeps the sand helps.

Sorry though guys I know you are try to help. I just changed from the calci sand to this to try and help him and then that will kill him so it's just frustrating every time you turn around you are apparently about to kill your pet.

PintoBeanDragon1000

Hatchling Member
I know it is frustrating the first beardie I got I purchased the starter cage. Came on here on the old account before my email got hacked and I had to change everything. I had to get a different substrate, new UVB a different heat bulb different perches, different food, how I was taming my first one. It was very aggravating but I did it and it payed off even though I lost my first to liver failure, my two now are doing pretty well. Except the one that wont eat. Other than that they thrive. I can tell you there was SOOO may times I wanted to throw my hands up and give up. Just sell my beardie and supplies and never get another one. I wanted to tell everyone to screw off and leave me alone. I was only 15 when I got my first one so ontop of the forum telling me what I did wrong I had to tell my family and they criticized me for it. We spend about 200 on the starter thing and everything I had to buy to replace the wrong stuff I ended up spending over 1000 it sucked allot but its better to be safe than sorry.
Good luck with your little guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vaota88
Top Bottom