Worried...acting slightly lethargic and has coccida.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Menolly

Juvie Member
I've had my beardie for about 6 months now. It took me forever to find a reliable vet that actually knew what they were talking about when it comes to reptiles. I've been noticing lately that he has been trying to go to sleep earlier then usual. 'm really worried because he has been trying to go to sleep at around 6:00 PM when he normally passes out around 8. We wake up every morning at 8:00 on the dot, so he's only up for about 10 hours. So I took him to the vet, and found out that he has a count of +3 coccidia . I have some Albon, but the vet is telling me to give him .25 mL tomorrow and .135 mL for the next four days. He weighs about 215 grams. Please help me. The dosage seems rather large, I know to give him a probiotic, but I've read that Albon is extremely harsh on the kidneys. Please, he's my first baby, I just want to see him happy and healthy. Is the attempt to sleep because of the coccidia affecting his system? Or is it because of brumation? (It's fallish weather here)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

You are right, Albon is very hard on the system, yes. Good you will use a probiotic while on the meds that is best for sulfa based meds.
At 215 grams, his dose wont be real large. The only thing I need is the concentration of the Albon, do you have that available, or can you find out? I will dose it for you & recheck the amounts.
He is how old? If he is younger than 1 year, he should not brumate, especially if he has a higher level of coccidia right now. That can cause lethargic behavior for sure. Is he eating right now?

Tracie

Menolly

Juvie Member
Original Poster
He is about 7 months old right now. The dosage is 5%. At the moment he is eating like a pig, although he has cut back on his salads a little bit. He usually eats 3 a day, but cut back to about half of what he usually eats. His comsumes crickets at fast as a dump them in the container...if I'm too slow he tilts his head up and tries to make a jump for the bag...impatient little bugger he is when it comes to his insects :roll: .

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon doing today? My main question is was he eating well before you got the fecal done? If so, it is borderline whether or not he really needs the Albon.
IF you are going to use the Albon, the dosage at 50mg/kg is .215 or rounded to .22 so I would lower the .25 to the lower dosage. Stay on the same dosage for a few days, then, go off of it. Albon should not really exceed a couple of weeks of total rounds, at a time. It is so harsh on their systems.

Tracie

Menolly

Juvie Member
Original Poster
He's doing good, we both just woke up. My little own alarm clock...He was eating just fine before the Albon, downing salads and crickets like no one business. The thing that really worries me is he keeps trying to go to sleep around 4 pmish for the last two days. When I gave him the medicine he perked right up. He wasn't even black when he was in his cage when I came home last night after work. (I've had some problems with him always being black while in the cage. My temps rage from 99-104. The bulb I use is a Megaray 100 SB bulb.)
My vet told me to only give it to him for five days and see how my kid is doing then :D . He seems to be doing a lot better. At night when I come home he isn't trying to go to sleep before it's to early. He's up and alert, with bright happy colors. Even my parents noticed the difference. Haha, whenever I walk downstairs they talk to Rael before me. It's to cute...
Mel

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Mel,

It sounds like he is doing pretty well, considering being on meds right now. So how is his appetite today? At least he is alert & active though & doesn't mind taking his meds.
Well you have a great UVB light, the Megaray is the best. How far do you have it from him? The temps are fine too. Are you using a digital probe or a temp gun to measure them with as well?
I hope that Rael is feeling better soon!

Tracie

Menolly

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Howdy Tracy,
He seems to enjoy the meds...As soon as he seems the syringe he starts trying to lick it/ bite it. His appetite is pigish as usual... :lol: . I made the mistake of putting the butter worms that were in the bag for shake and bake down next to him for a second...CHOMP...impatient little bugger...Nothing ever effects his appetite. The only thing he didn't eat as much salad as he usually does today.
He can get within about 13 inches of the bulb from his basking perch. I'm using a digital probe to measure his temps.
Thank you! I hope so to. I'm ready to be done with these parasites.
Mel

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Mel,

Great that he is eating well that is good to hear. Yes, it will be nice when he doesn't have to take meds anymore. At least though, he doesn't fight you on taking them like alot of them do. :blob8:
Ok, 13 inches from him is fine. I hope he continues to do well for you.

Let me know if you need anything.

Tracie

Menolly

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Howdy Tracy,
Thank you so much.
There is one thing I'm worried about. In the last couple of days, Rael started doing something very odd. First he puffs himself up really to make himself look intimidating, but there is nothing around him that is scary. He puffs himself up, while puffing up his beard, it seems to be somewhat difficult because he throws back his had. It seems to me like it would hurt. After he does this, he proceeds to do what I can only call a very large beardie yawn. One or twice his beard has been completely black while doing it. Any advice on why this is happening would be greatly appreciated.
Mel

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi, that is very common behavior. More common with beardies several months old or adults. All of my beardies do that and I mostly notice it in the morning, a large puffed out beard followed by what looks like a huge yawn. I know they do it more often when they are shedding on their heads. It could be that they are trying to impress us too by looking tough. So, no worries.

Menolly

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Hey,
Oh well thank you very much for telling me. He actually his shedding his on his head and tail right now. You just saved me from having another heart attack tomorrow. It just looks so weird. Not as bad as the eye popping though, lemme tell you if I hadn't come across that article, there would have been an emergency vet trip.
Thank you!
Mel

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Mel,

How is your boy doing today? So he was pushing his beard out for you huh? Oh they love doing that & showing off for us. I think they love to entertain us. :lol:

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom