Worried about Spikes Size/Weight

Status
Not open for further replies.

iannkt

Original Poster
Well I moved Spikes tank setup around and got him much closer to the UV. I also bought reptaid and mealworms last night and am going to try and give him some of that along with baby food we picked up.

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
iannkt":2beddtq1 said:
Beardednoob":2beddtq1 said:
from a Reptisun 10.0 is 6-8 inches away
Thanks. How about the mvb bulbs? Maybe it would be better to switch to one of these for my setup. It will be difficult to get the 6-8" distance with my current setup unless I make something and change the setup in the tank. Any thoughts? If so what is a good bulb?
If you were to use a MVB the only one I would say is okay to use at the moment until they get their acts together would be a Zoo Med Power Sun 160watt at a distance of 16-18 inches.

iannkt

Original Poster
Beardednoob":298qdg4c said:
iannkt":298qdg4c said:
Beardednoob":298qdg4c said:
Thanks. How about the mvb bulbs? Maybe it would be better to switch to one of these for my setup. It will be difficult to get the 6-8" distance with my current setup unless I make something and change the setup in the tank. Any thoughts? If so what is a good bulb?
If you were to use a MVB the only one I would say is okay to use at the moment until they get their acts together would be a Zoo Med Power Sun 160watt at a distance of 16-18 inches.
Thanks. I am going to see if Spike's appetite picks up over the next few days..if not I think I will get an MVB and try that route. So far he seems to be about the same. I tried to give him some Reptaid today but it didn't work so well. Hard to feed him with the syringe. I gave him about 25 small reptiworms dusted with calcium and multivitamin for his first feeding. Giving him about the same amount for dinner along with a little chicken baby food.

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
iannkt":2vomtxvn said:
Beardednoob":2vomtxvn said:
iannkt":2vomtxvn said:
Beardednoob":2vomtxvn said:
Thanks. I am going to see if Spike's appetite picks up over the next few days..if not I think I will get an MVB and try that route. So far he seems to be about the same. I tried to give him some Reptaid today but it didn't work so well. Hard to feed him with the syringe. I gave him about 25 small reptiworms dusted with calcium and multivitamin for his first feeding. Giving him about the same amount for dinner along with a little chicken baby food.

With the baby food, my dragons and from what I hear a lot of other ones love the quash flavor. When feeding the repaid it is easiest with 2 people. Do you have someone to help you? I can feed one of my dragons some and show you a video of how I have had success, with another persons help.

iannkt

Original Poster
Beardednoob":39wiw7zk said:
iannkt":39wiw7zk said:
iannkt":39wiw7zk said:

With the baby food, my dragons and from what I hear a lot of other ones love the quash flavor. When feeding the repaid it is easiest with 2 people. Do you have someone to help you? I can feed one of my dragons some and show you a video of how I have had success, with another persons help.
I have my wife who can help...I would love to check out a video to see a technique if you have one.

catUK

Gray-bearded Member
Thats a great informative video- she was a good girl and didn't even have any stress marks- bless :D

iannkt

Original Poster
Thanks a bunch for uploading that video. My wife and I are going to give this a try tomorrow night.

iannkt

Original Poster
Update on Spike:

He is putting some weight on, he is up to 20 grams from 16 and his belly seems to be filling out which is nice since he was looking pretty skinny before. He is not eating on his own though. I am hand feeding him ~20 reptiworms per meal 2x a day and 1 wax worm a day. If I put the reptiworms in his bowl and the meal worm, he does not seem interested in the least bit. So due to this, I have been feeding him by lightly pulling to the side on the bottom of his mouth which pulls his lip down a little so I can stick the reptiworm against his teeth, then he gobbles down the reptiworm just fine. He is pooping daily, sometimes twice a day and they look fairly firm. he is now ~8 inches away from the UVB and his basking spot is 105 F. I am still thinking about trying an MVB bulb but not sure yet. I have been bathing him 3-4 times a week as well. Not sure why he does not seem interested in food.

Slave2Scarlett

Gray-bearded Member
Thank goodness I found this post.. As many of you know i've been concerned about Scarlett's eating habits as well as her size... It's so hard to get her to eat really good.. She would hardly eat any crickets at first so I ordered some reptiworms and she does like those.. But she's still only eating about 20 a day... She's 11 weeks old and she weighs 17grams and she's 8 inches long... I'm not sure if thats good or not? Maybe someone could help me out with that... She has been pooping everyday since we have had her.. today makes a month that she's been with us.. She is gaining weight every week.. Last week she was 14 grams and today when I weighed her she was 17 and she was about 7 1/2 inches last week and this week she is 8.. She's very active.. Loves running around her viv and taking baths and getting out of her viv... Her UVB is prob a little too high and we are going to lower that tomorrow... I'm just curious if her size and weight is normal for her age..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom