Worried about new baby beardie..help

levismom

Beardie name(s)
Leviathan
Hi Just got a new beardie for Christmas. He's been fine up until today. he didn't eat today and not so much yesterday. but today he seems lethargic and not moving much. typically he is still skittish when i put my hand in. he's not even moving. he was basking in spot with his moth open. I read this could be a sign of them trying to cool off so i moved him to a cooler spot and he's just laying there with his hands tucked under him

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
Can you post a photo of him please? And let us know about your setup: tank size, lighting, temps, substrate, and diet

levismom

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leviathan
here you go

Attachments

• image_67511041.JPG
    image_67511041.JPG
    187.9 KB · Views: 59

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
They gape to cool off yrs, but thry also do it to maintain a comfortable temperature once they get warm enough, it's the equivalent of a dog panting.

levismom

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leviathan
here are some others

Attachments

• unnamed3.jpg
    unnamed3.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 59
  • unnamed2.jpg
    unnamed2.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 56
  • unnamed1.jpg
    unnamed1.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 48

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
He looks sick, what has he been eating if mealworms he may be impacted

levismom

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leviathan
Can you post a photo of him please? And let us know about your setup: tank size, lighting, temps, substrate, and diet
I posted photos' of the tank is 40 gal and he eat's crickets with calcium and fruit and leafy greens. not iceberg

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
what are you using for UVB? if it is in one of those domes, the first thing you're going to want to do is replace it with a long straight tube and fixture. and is that dial the only thermometer you have? you'll want 2 probe thermometers. they are the most accurate. that dial is only giving you ambient temps. the uvb and heat are the absolute most critical for their health and the place to start with any troubleshooting. once that is on par, if issues are still happening, it is easier to figure out what else could be going on.

here's a link for the thermometers. Zoo Med Reptile Terrarium Digital Thermometer | reptile Humidity & Temperature Control | PetSmart

the link i have for the light says they are sold out. but @KarrieRee should be around here and she'll have links for other sources. she's the one you're going to want to work with on the lighting/temps. she's the best!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
what are you using for UVB? if it is in one of those domes, the first thing you're going to want to do is replace it with a long straight tube and fixture. and is that dial the only thermometer you have? you'll want 2 probe thermometers. they are the most accurate. that dial is only giving you ambient temps. the uvb and heat are the absolute most critical for their health and the place to start with any troubleshooting. once that is on par, if issues are still happening, it is easier to figure out what else could be going on.

here's a link for the thermometers. Zoo Med Reptile Terrarium Digital Thermometer | reptile Humidity & Temperature Control | PetSmart

the link i have for the light says they are sold out. but @KarrieRee should be around here and she'll have links for other sources. she's the one you're going to want to work with on the lighting/temps. she's the best!
Has your dragon pooped? You want a 24" long tube fixture try PetSmart if you have one where you live for this one 24 watt w/ a 12% bulb Arcadia Reptile ProT5 UV-B Kit | reptile Light Fixtures | PetSmart
Or this one you will need to change the bulb out to this 22" Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO High Output Fluorescent Bulb this fixture https://hydrobuilder.com/sunblaster-nanotech-t5-ho-fixture-with-6400k-lamp.html you want the 24" or 2 ft
When you get this in please let me know your screen will determine where the uvb goes-- please get some water in him drop water on his nose or use a eye dropper - if he has not pooped and you think he's impacted get some baby food pumpkin add 2 drops of olive oil one drop of honey - see if he will lick off a spoon or feed by syringe very slow feed till he poops you can water it down too

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
He looks a little bloated. I think veterinary advice would be ideal as soon as you can book, parasites can be to blame and they are easy to treat. Babies are prone to this due to overcrowding at the pet store and transition to a new environment which causes stress (not your fault, my beardies had them too). Thankfully though his eyes aren't sunken in.

There's a chance He might be a little impacted. I'd go with Karierees advice to help him poop, maybe even give him a warm bath in a warm room with very shallow water. How big are the crickets? They should be no bigger than the distance between his eyes. Black soldier fly larvae are a better alternative at this age and are super healthy. You can order them online. He should be pooping pretty much daily at this age. Some fruits and veggies are not suitable for beardies so please be mindful of this also. Hope he gets better soon please keep us updated.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom