Worried about my BRB

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmb527

Hatchling Member
Hey all,
I have a ?? for those who know Brazilian Rainbow Boas. Mine hasn't eaten since Aug 6 th and it has me worried as she used to eat a lg rat every week. Her cage is kept at about 85 degrees and between 70 -90% humidity. The only thing that has changed, besides our location is I added a Repti-Fogger so I would be able to keep her humidity more constant and stable. I hate spray bottles! The other odd thing is that she has shed every month since she quit eating. I have tried feeding her at different times of day ranging from about noon, up to about 8:00 pm. I always feed her fresh killed rats, out of her cage. I have now tried to feed her fresh killed out of her cage, in a big tote, in the guest bathtub, )we never have guests and it gets bleached after snakey is put away), on the floor where she can be stretched out, everywhere I can think of. I am getting ready to move from Denver to Everett Wa. and would like her to at least get a decent meal before we start our family trek. Any thoughts are welcome.
Thanks,
Bill
P.S.- She does not seem to have lost much weight, if any. The guy who runs the reptile shop I got her from says she looks good.

PastorAaron

Juvie Member
Hey There,
Try offering in her cage. The stress of being moved to a dif enclosure might be causing the problem. Aside from that I would think about doing a fecal exam if she is still passing anything (urates, for example)...it sounds like parasites to me. There can be a whole plethora of underlying problems related to a herp not feeding.
God Bless,
Aaron

bmb527

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
The last time she pooped was around 8-15-08. I guess I will have to try to find the cash and take her to the vet. It just sux as I lost my job a month ago, so cash is hard to come by.
Thanks for the input.
Bill

wigglesworth

Juvie Member
Does she show any interest in the rat?
Its gross but have you tried cutting into the rats stomach to try and get her interested

it does sound as if a trip to a vet may be inorder
Good luck, hopefully you'll be able to get to the bottom of the issue and get her eating again soon

bmb527

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
She is "blue" right now, getting ready to shed.....AGAIN!! Once she sheds, I am going to try to feed her in her cage, late at night when she comes out for a stroll. It will mean taking a night off from work, but, oh well, she's gotta eat, plus the worst night of beer drinking and snake feeding is better than the best night of work! If she won't go for it I guess a trip to Dr. Kevin Fitzgerald is in order. Maybe y'all will see me on "Emergency Vets" on The Discovery Channel!
She has always had a bit of a wheezing problem, nothing big, just once in awhile, that hasn't changed, and there is no other evidence of a RI, but, it is time to go see the dr. I guess. I just wonder why she sheds so much.
Bill

bmb527

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
OK now I am ticked off!!! I was just looking at my girl, and she is covered with mites!!! She has never had this problem prior to us moving and I bought cypress bark from a new place that was closer to me than my favorite shop. I held her for about 3-5 minutes and noticed a bunch crawling on her. I put her back in her cage and I had about 10 of them on ME!! So, I have an appt with a vet for Mon., but should I keep the appt. or just treat for mites and sterilize her tank and equipment?
An office call is $85, plus any treatment and cash is beyond tight right now.
Bill

bmb527

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I just got home from the vet and this guy is the shizzle!!! His name is Dr. Roger Klingenburg and is a renowned author of texts on the care and such of reptiles. I own a few of the books he co-authored and they are great. My BRB has a res. infection, made worse by the mites. He gave me some ivermectin spray to treat the snake as well as her enclosure and some pre dispensed syringes of antibiotics to treat the res infection. She is in a bare bottom tank for treatment and will stay there until the mites are dead and gone. Then she will get her old house back, but with all new decor that is mite free and everything will be baked to make sure of it. If anyone is local to northern Colorado and needs a vet, I recommend this guy. He takes his time and explains everything well, and encourages you to ask questions and makes sure you understand what is going on. I will keep up with updates as she improves.
Bill

bmb527

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well, my BRB is all better! She has eaten twice, no wheezing, not a sign of a mite anywhere, life is good again. Plus, we finished our move to Marysville Washington. Does anyone know of a good reptile shop in the Seattle area? In Denver, I had 3, I can't find a pet shop in the area that I would buy a goldfish from.
Bill

PastorAaron

Juvie Member
Can't help with the vet thing, but congrats on a full recovery. It can be SO stressful when you don't know what's going on! We've dealt with RI's just enough to get a hold of a stethoscope so we can listen for them ourselves. Makes a world of difference...but haven't had one since the addition to the house...
God Bless,
Aaron

bmb527

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Actually, I am looking for a pet shop that either specializes in herps, or at least has a good reptile section and someone who knows their stuff working in it. So far the best reptile selection I have seen in WA was at a Petco and unless it is an emergency, I don't spend money with them.
Bill

bmb527

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I find it odd that my BRB gets along best when there is a temp of about 75-80 and humidity so high that there is water under the substrate. She is active and bright and eating. Who'd of thunk it?!?!
Bill

zimbabwepegasus

Extreme Poster
I thought that was how BRBs were supposed to be... temp & heat wise.
My little bugger is happy only when there is condensation on the sides of her tank.

I'll see if I can't find you any stores up in Seattle. Where are you up there? I have a couple friends still in the Seattle region who have herps. I also think Brittany, who used to be on here a lot, lives up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bugluvr3
Top Bottom