Worried about dehydration

Status
Not open for further replies.

youngkale

I’ve had my bearded dragon for close to a month now, and I have only seen him drink from his water bowl one time. I’ve been concerned he isn’t getting enough water. I have tried using a dropper to drip water onto his nose but he just closes his eyes every time. I try to give him baths a few times a week in hopes that he will drink the water he is in, but he never wants to stay in the tub longer than a few minutes and he does not drink the water. I feed him greens and veggies daily that are always wet when he eats them, but I still notice signs that he isn’t getting enough water (double saliva lines in mouth, skin appears wrinkly). Any tricks on how to make sure he is getting enough?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Saliva in the mouth and wrinkly skin is not a sign of dehydration.

If you dragon is eating his salad daily, he is getting plenty of hydration. They aren't dumb creatures, when they are thirsty they will drink water if it's presented to them. The fact that he isn't drinking should be slightly reassuring.

The only real way to gauge hydration levels at home is through the urate. If your dragons urate isn't hard and chalky and off colored, then your dragon isn't dehydrated.

-Brandon

Jessmyman

My beardie doesn’t drink from his water bowl or eat veggies and his urine is half white half orange , how to I get him to eat water

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zazzep
Top Bottom