Worms, Roaches, Etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

alyel

Juvie Member
Got a few q's....
First....do superworms need light to live? We built a new viv and the bottom has a roomy storage area, only thing is no natural light can get in. Wondering if I'll need a light. Maybe a small fluorescent? I'm nervous about putting anything warm down there as the whole viv is wood...
Also, I know that superworms are kind of fatty, and I was looking for an alternative to crickets b/c I just HATE them lol. Are roaches a good idea? And are there a such thing as a roach that doesn't get HUGE lol. Drake isn't that big and it seems like she'd have a hard time with a huge roach! Also, we're looking at getting another beardie and I thought roaches would multiply and that way we'd have more to feed Drake and the new beardie. But I guess I shouldn't be worried right now about feeders...brumation is around the corner LOL!
Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks <3

patrickb

Juvie Member
I haven't dealt with superworms, but their care is very similar to mealworms. They don't need any light to proliferate so I think the super worms should be fine without it as well.

As for the roaches, you need to remember, they start out very small and grow to become larger. Dubias are around 1/8"-3/16" as newborns and grow from there. When you have a colony established, you will have various sizes of them at all times. You actually don't want to be feeding the largest ones anyways, since they will be your breeders. There are other species that are smaller in size as adults however if you just don't want a larger species. Discoids, Cuban Burrowing, Lobsters, Turkestans.

sunkist

Sub-Adult Member
More more information - I need the same type of information. I don't mind the crickets soo much but having to go get them all the time is a pain.

patrickb

Juvie Member
alyel":e8437 said:
Thanks! And do roaches need light???
Nope, and they actually prefer to have none. The less light, the more active they will be. ;)
sunkist":e8437 said:
More more information - I need the same type of information. I don't mind the crickets soo much but having to go get them all the time is a pain.
Heh, try breeding 2-5k crickets at a time. If the chirping doesn't get to ya, then just open the lid of the container and enjoy the smell. You might think differently about them then. :shock:

I can really say roaches are the feeder to go with hands down. They don't require the level of cleaning and maintenance that crickets do. If you forget about them for a week or two, they will still be there doing their thing. Do that with crickets and you will have a big pile of rotting carcasses in the bin. Not a pleasant smell, I can assure you.

The important thing with getting roaches going is to get started sooner, rather than later. Unless you have the cash to buy a huge established colony, it is going to take you 6-8 months with a starter group of around 120-150 roaches to get a good sized colony going that can support a single (maybe even two beardies) exclusively. Dubias are quite expensive to start with, but they pay for themselves given time. Two species in particular, Lobsters and Turkestans you can get for about the same prices as crickets in bulk. The lobsters can climb glass whereas the Turkestans can't so I tend to prefer them to order as a drop in replacement for crickets immediately. I like the dubias best in the long run, but while you are waiting on them to get established good, give the Turkestans a try. :wink:

alyel

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks so much! Now, do roaches need gut load???????????????
I will try the turks, maybe I should do that soon when she goes into brumation? By the time she's out, they will be bred?

patrickb

Juvie Member
Yep, you will need to still gut load them, but my general practice is to feed them what I would be feeding my animals in the first place. The fresh veggies and fruits, along with things high in protein, calcium etc... That way they are always gutloaded and no special gut loading session is needed. Just grab what I need and keep on keepin' on.

The Turkestans are definitely going to be breeding like mad. You will have way more than you know what to do with in a short period of time. Turks are very "roachy" looking and super fast. That is the one thing I like about them because it catches my tarantula's attention very well. Drop them in the tank and they hit the ground running like there is no tomorrow. You will like the dubia much better in the long run. Get a decent colony of the Turks, and then a smaller Dubia colony and you will be good to go. Variety is always nice anyways. :)

The other reason that the Dubia would be better for a beardie is because of their size. They get around 2" in length, whereas the Turks are about the same size as crickets 1" or so. It still takes more of them to fill up a full grown beardie than the Dubia would.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom