Worms for Juvenile Bearded Dragons

HyperLollipop

Beardie name(s)
Herman
So I know that mealworms can be beneficial to bearded dragons but they shouldn't have them until they're about a year old because the exoskeleton can cause impaction. However we are looking to spice up Herman's diet and we were looking into other worms such as superworms and hornworms. Looking online there are not too many resources that tell me which worms are good for juveniles specifically. Which worms would be good for Herman? In case you need to know he is 4 months old and his primary protein is crickets and he also has leafy greens available at pretty much all times so he can eat whenever he wants a snack.
Thanks!

HyperLollipop

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Herman
I just realized this should have been posted in the food for beardies section (i forgot the exact title of the forum) so if mods want to move it they can

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
So I know that mealworms can be beneficial to bearded dragons but they shouldn't have them until they're about a year old because the exoskeleton can cause impaction. However we are looking to spice up Herman's diet and we were looking into other worms such as superworms and hornworms. Looking online there are not too many resources that tell me which worms are good for juveniles specifically. Which worms would be good for Herman? In case you need to know he is 4 months old and his primary protein is crickets and he also has leafy greens available at pretty much all times so he can eat whenever he wants a snack.
Thanks!
I would suggest supers horn and some BSFL which are a staple- you can add them to his diet every day topping his salads - the supers you can feed 1-3 every other day on his salads and the horn worms every day till gone 1-2 they tend to grow fast - is he eating the salads? I would also recommend getting him over on dubia roaches they are a better nutritional staple insect feeder- silk worms are nice and are also a staple feeder but can be spendy- I am going to post some websites for you so you can shop
www.dubiaroaches.com
www.symtonbsf.com
www.reptilianarts.com
www.abragons.com
www.coastalsilkworms.com
Fluker Farms - Order Live Crickets, Mealworms, Superworms they have the best super worms but only sell large so I would wait before you order them from here till hes like 7-8 months old

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Hornworms are great for hydration and somewhat nutritious but can cause watery poops, silkworms are extremely nutritious but are harder to consistently obtain. They do grow a bit slower than hornworms so you don't have to feed them off as fast.

HyperLollipop

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Herman
I would suggest supers horn and some BSFL which are a staple- you can add them to his diet every day topping his salads - the supers you can feed 1-3 every other day on his salads and the horn worms every day till gone 1-2 they tend to grow fast - is he eating the salads? I would also recommend getting him over on dubia roaches they are a better nutritional staple insect feeder- silk worms are nice and are also a staple feeder but can be spendy- I am going to post some websites for you so you can shop
www.dubiaroaches.com
www.symtonbsf.com
www.reptilianarts.com
www.abragons.com
www.coastalsilkworms.com
Fluker Farms - Order Live Crickets, Mealworms, Superworms they have the best super worms but only sell large so I would wait before you order them from here till hes like 7-8 months old
Thanks! What are BSFL?
And as for salads he doesn't really eat them too much, sometimes he munches on the greens though he has been eating them more than he did when we first got him two months ago.
Also about Dubias... I would get but we're finding that they're super expensive. Triple the price of crickets (we give him large crickets, he enjoys them a lot more and we don't find it affects his bowel movements) because if we wanted to get him dubias it would be 30 cents apiece to get him the large ones.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Thanks! What are BSFL?
And as for salads he doesn't really eat them too much, sometimes he munches on the greens though he has been eating them more than he did when we first got him two months ago.
Also about Dubias... I would get but we're finding that they're super expensive. Triple the price of crickets (we give him large crickets, he enjoys them a lot more and we don't find it affects his bowel movements) because if we wanted to get him dubias it would be 30 cents apiece to get him the large ones.
Black soldier fly larvae BSFL -- great staple feeder for babies and a good compliment to roaches - where are you looking to buy the roaches? On line or a pet store? I posted a bunch of websites dubia roaches are the most reasonable-- please do not feed any insects bigger than the space between their eyes -- it will cause impaction

HyperLollipop

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Herman
Black soldier fly larvae BSFL -- great staple feeder for babies and a good compliment to roaches - where are you looking to buy the roaches? On line or a pet store? I posted a bunch of websites dubia roaches are the most reasonable-- please do not feed any insects bigger than the space between their eyes -- it will cause impaction
Thanks. What size dubia roaches would you recommend then?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Mealworms are fine for younger dragons too. Just make sure they are appropriately sized like any other feeder insect. Variety is going to lead to a healthier dragon than picking just 1 "good" insect.

-Brandon

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom