woodies or dubia roaches australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonnyy

Original Poster
Hi, im an Australian boy getting a bearded dragon, i was wondering what bugs i should use as feeders, Dubia roaches or woodies? and how long dose it take to start up a colony so i can be feeding it daily without running out, and any tips to start a colony.

Solution
Hi Sonnyy! I searched our Australia-specific forum and saw this thread about which feeder insects are available in Australia. Hopefully, it's helpful. In the US, dubia roaches and crickets are very popular choices as staples.

I'm hoping others will chime in with some help regarding starting a colony but I did a quick search on the web for how to start a colony. Breeding Dubia Roaches: How to Start your Own Colony

@CooperDragon @Claudiusx, have you guys ever started your own feeder insect colony?

Shinryu

Hatchling Member
Staff member
Lead Writer
Hi Sonnyy! I searched our Australia-specific forum and saw this thread about which feeder insects are available in Australia. Hopefully, it's helpful. In the US, dubia roaches and crickets are very popular choices as staples.

I'm hoping others will chime in with some help regarding starting a colony but I did a quick search on the web for how to start a colony. Breeding Dubia Roaches: How to Start your Own Colony

@CooperDragon @Claudiusx, have you guys ever started your own feeder insect colony?

Solution

Sonnyy

Original Poster

oh, thank you :) this will help

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I have a dubia roach colony. It took about 3-4 months to start to see a new generation appear. If you start with adult roaches (more expensive) then it can probably be done more quickly. Woodies are popular in Australia but I’ve never used them. Black soldier fly larvae are a good option for dragons too. Especially young dragons because they are small. Silk worms are a good option to mix in on rotation too. If you have mulberry leaves for them to eat, even better. Having a colony of.bugs to use as a staple is good, but it’s also important to offer a variety of food in order to help make sure they get all the nutrients they need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bert_L
Top Bottom