wont eat roaches or crickets

Status
Not open for further replies.
my beardie is a little over an year old he used to eat very well up to this last month he will eat all his veggie but wont take any crickets,roaches,or mealworms i dont know what is going on at all and its bothering me! any help to why this is going would be grateful please help. there has been no changes in habitat or heating he still poops fine so i know he is not impacted.

Soulwind

Sub-Adult Member
It's a little late in the season to be starting, but he might be going into a brumation period.

Is he being more lethargic along with a diminished appetite? Trying to hide/sleep alot?

wesleypratt7

Original Poster
He is active and runs around his cage he sleeps just as much as he always has. But he does hide behind his rocks a lot more.

Soulwind

Sub-Adult Member
Well then it doesn't really sound like brumation.

Could be he's slightly impacted .. not enough to keep him from poo'ing
but enough to give him an upset tummy.

Could also be that he's just not that hungry for bugs right now and is
being picky.

FYI - mealworms are on most people's no-no list. They have very little
nutritional value and are mostly just shell without much meat to them.
That makes them hard to digest and can easily lead to minor (or even major
sometimes) impactions/constipation.

wesleypratt7

Original Poster
I will just keep an eye on him thanks for your input and I give him meal worms like once a month but will stop that now. Also I have heard diff stories about Pinky's for them I don't feed him those but wondering if it is bad for them???

Soulwind

Sub-Adult Member
Pinkies are iffy, and are (at best) a VERY VERY occasional item.

Some folks will give them to a breeding female right before/after she lays to build her back up,
but I don't think anyone recommends them for normal feeding usage.

Have you fed him another type of insect as a staple? If you did maybe he just wants that insect. Also, my friend had that problem and she said she gave her beardie a warm bath, and massaged his belly for like 30 mins. Then she gave him this stuff called ESU jump start and she never had that problem again.

ktipit

My beardie's appetite has also changed suddenly. He was eating twice a day--medium crickets--& greens --then I also started him on super worms --which he loves. But the last week he will barely eat once a day--normal pooping. He has been doing a lot of shedding lately--first his chin & head--then his entire belly--then his whole back. I am thinking that could be why he is not eating as much. He also seems a little sleepier-
Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

wesleypratt7

Original Poster
Yes I have replaced my uvb light twice he started eating two days ago after he went poop it was massive so I think he was slightly impacted thanks for all the help everyone!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom