Wild plants outside that are safe to eat?

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Was just wondering what wild plants my beardies can eat safely while roaming outside. I tend to have a lot of grass weeds and occasionally bright flowers/plants and my girls will have a taste. I hear a lot of people saying they let their beardies eat wild plants around their home/yard. Just kinda makes me uneasy to be honest but if it's ok for them then I don't mind letting them roam and eat

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Dandelion leaf and flower, clover leaf and flower, both of which my beardies will eat. Wild violets [ my beardies have never shown interest in ] chicory , but it's not as common as the others. Many weeds are not toxic and I've rarely heard of a dragon getting sick from eating outdoors as long as you're sure there is no one spraying pesticides very close by. Other owners might have ideas as well.

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
avoid japanese pieris mountain fire plant. a friend of ours almost lost her beardie from eating one of the leaves. luckily she was able to get him into an emergency vet immediately.
toxic.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's a beautiful plant, good thing the beardie survived after eating . Some flowers are toxic as well, daffodil for one. Hibiscus and rose of sharon are both edible.

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
That's a beautiful plant, good thing the beardie survived after eating . Some flowers are toxic as well, daffodil for one. Hibiscus and rose of sharon are both edible.
I have heard about Hibiscus it's a plant I have seen but my beardies mostly eat grass or weeds. I have a very good plant app that I use and anything around me or anything they eat/try i scan it first. I'll just be out and about and snap a pic and it'll tell me the name origin if it's toxic or not and how to control it. It's just weird that something can look so beautiful but be so deadly

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Can you post the name of the app? It sounds like a handly tool to have.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
SWEET. Thank you for the info I'm for sure gonna download that one.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom