WHYYYYYYY!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pscaulkins

Extreme Poster
gregorydragon":2a44f said:
Tyler,
I know how you feel. I have a 5 month old beardie. He is only 12 inches, which I think is on the small side, although not necessarily tiny. Between 3 and 4 months of age, I didn't have roaches and he would go a few days in between eating crickets. There are two things that I have been able to get our beardie to eat: Roaches and hornworms. Other than that, I think he would rather starve. I tried phoenix worms, silkworms, butterworms, roaches, crickets, and hornworms. He has eaten zero butterworms (out of 50) :| , 4 silkworms (out of 50) :( , 5 phoenix worms (out of 150) :cry: :x , and every hornworm I put in the cage, :) but I don't think these are a good staple. He has probably eaten less than 500 crickets :angry5: :banghead: in a 3 month period. I have no idea how many roaches, but he consumes 30-50 a day consistently :D :headbang: .

Jeff

Hornworms are a great staple. Better then silkworms in my opinion.

If your beardie will eat hornworms then you should feed him them but they are a bit more costly. All three of my dragons love hornworms but my 5-1/2 month old wouldn't be the size she is now if it weren't for hornworms. She won't eat crickets, butterworms or phoenix worms now. She loves roaches, hornworms and freshly shedded supers.

Try feeding little and often apparently it can work. I only had yoda a day but the guy at the store who I wouldnt normally trust I dont with store attendants but he owns BD's too. Said he has one he feeds a few to about 4 or 5 times a day as he wont eat loads in one go. Maybe try a few woms too for a change but be wary what time some are only for the odd treat due to the fat content. My friend has an overweight BD as she started feeding wax worms and falkor is no dumb bd he knows what he likes and if he doesnt eat that she'll give in and give those. Ill have to get a photo he is a big boy !!!

K9KidsLove

Sub-Adult Member
Hi...It is recommended that dragons not be offered superworms til they are 16" long. They aren't able to digest them properly when they are small/young.

I agree that you should be feeding a little at a time, but 3 times a day. Gradually add more each feeding, every few days til he is eating what he needs to. Then gradually cut back on the middle feeding as you add to the am & pm feeding. Be patient. It takes time.
Good luck
Patsy

Elaina

Juvie Member
whenever my guys go on a feeding strike, for no obvious reason, or I'm out of their fav's..I do the babyfood for a couple days and they always perk up, then start eating the insects. Mix chicken babyfood, green beans, squash and sweet potatoes, and his calcium/vitamins- put it in a syring dropper and put some on his nose/ mouth area. If he doesn't lick it off, I'll be suprised!!! For his size a couple cc's a day is probably good. I'm actually hand feeding right now..because they are being stubborn. No roaches, spolied little babies. Lola has boobs tho :shock: she's so chunky- so its not like she's starving LOL!!!!

pscaulkins

Extreme Poster
K9KidsLove":dac5c said:
Hi...It is recommended that dragons not be offered superworms til they are 16" long. They aren't able to digest them properly when they are small/young.

Patsy

Freshly shedded supers with no exoskeleton is fine for a 15", 5 month old dragon. It's the skeleton that causes impaction not the worm inside it. Jada digests them just fine. It's not her whole diet but when I find freshly shedded ones, she gets them.

Elaina

Juvie Member
pscaulkins":e098e said:
K9KidsLove":e098e said:

Patsy

Freshly shedded supers with no exoskeleton is fine for a 15", 5 month old dragon. It's the skeleton that causes impaction not the worm inside it. Jada digests them just fine. It's not her whole diet but when I find freshly shedded ones, she gets them.

I agree..Lola started on supers at about 15 inches with no probs. I had to do something- she wouldn't eat crickets anymore, and she just wouldn't take to anything else. Now she will only eat those nasty roaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mangobango4
Top Bottom