Why wont he eat? Please help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimesh121

I got a bearded dragon on the 7th of jan and he was 2 months. He is my 1st beardie. He refuses to eat his veggies but he knows its there cause he sits on and puts sand in his water dish(which does not drink from) I am going to change his bedding to newspaper or cardboard cause sand is bad (pet shop didn't tell me that). A few days ago he would eat all four crickets I gave him and would poo the next morning but now he eats to crickets happily then will get distracted by his reflection and attack that and leave the cricket roaming around so I have to catch the cricket and put back. Also he finished shedding a few days ago. I give him daily baths and mistings to keep him hydrated and he is used to him tank and me. He also turning black a lot but that's when basking so he can absorb more heat cause if I pick him up he changes back. He loves being handeld. Please help me teach him to eat his veggies.

Thanks

Kimesh

mickeysmomma

Sub-Adult Member
It's normal for babies not to eat their greens, so don't worry about that. Keep offering them everyday, and he will eventually start eating them.

HE should be eating A LOT more crickets....as many as he can eat really. My baby would sometimes eat 50+ at a time!

Kimesh121

Original Poster
mickeysmomma":3t9b1wfa said:
It's normal for babies not to eat their greens, so don't worry about that. Keep offering them everyday, and he will eventually start eating them.

HE should be eating A LOT more crickets....as many as he can eat really. My baby would sometimes eat 50+ at a time!

Ok thanks
I give him quite big crickets so he only eats a few and the pet shop told me to give him 4 a day, I think that's why he's not growing much. I will giv him as many as he can eat also how do YOU dust your crickets with calcium and what can help him stop looking at his reflection cause that distracts him from his crix and I can't get the crix out cause I think I threw the tongs away by mistake. Thank you so much what can I do 4 u?

even tho they are big ones i was told give him/her as many as they can eat in about 5 min 2 or 3 times a day thats what i do for mine he will eat about 1 doz or more a day right now

catUK

Gray-bearded Member
Kimesh121":3dqyp28l said:
I give him quite big crickets so he only eats a few and the pet shop told me to give him 4 a day, I think that's why he's not growing much. I will giv him as many as he can eat also how do YOU dust your crickets with calcium and what can help him stop looking at his reflection cause that distracts him from his crix and I can't get the crix out cause I think I threw the tongs away by mistake. Thank you so much what can I do 4 u?

he may still be settling in- his appetite will probably start increasing. Shedding also decreases the appetite. Make sure the crickets are no bigger than the space between his eyes or they can't digest them properly. To dust the crickets: I put quarter of a spoonful of dust in a plastic container, put the crickets in there and shake the box so it coats the crickets. My beardie didn't start showing an interest in her greens until she was about 7-8 months so don't worry about that :D

techdave

Juvie Member
Make sure the crickets are no bigger than the space between his eyes or they can't digest them properly.

Very important. There is also a big chance of getting impacted if they're too big. For dusting, put the feeders in a sandwich bag and shake. Feed 2-3 times a day, as much as they can eat in a 15 min period. Dust with calcium one feeding a day, 5 times a week. 2 times a week dust with multivitamin.

warnisha

Juvie Member
I have a little one that we have had for about 3 weeks almost, he is probably 6-8 weeks now. He wouldn't eat but 2-3 little crix at a time and slowly over the last 3 weeks he has increased his cricket intake to at least 10 per feeding! Can't get the little buggar to eat his worms to save my life, tried in salad by themselves...oh well keep trying I guess. He has days he gobbles up his salad and days he won't touch it. He does love his kale but I read its not a staple food so...There was one day that we were out of town and unable to give him his crix other than morning...that night he had eaten almost all his salad!!! They will eat if they are hungry enough! lol!

Kimesh121

Original Poster
Thanks u guyz but actually he didn't eat any crix and also he was falling over when I misted him and when I handle him he puts his head down and walks into the spaces between my fingers and then he looks under my hand and shakes his head and goes under and falls over. I am really sad cause I think he might be mad or something and this is my 1st beardie and I hav wanted 1 4 so long and now he's at the pet store and they are taking care of him. So I hope he is not mad or something cause I would hate that I think I might giv him away cause its a lot of work and I just got back to school after 6 months.

If I do sell the tank... Does any 1 want a 60 cm by 30cm tank with 2 logs , lights , food bowls , calcium, spray bottle , container (bath tub lol) I'm not how much but I think around 1500 south african rands. Please work out in ure currency and message me a deal or if u want it . Thanks so much I hope he gets better.

U don't have to buy tank I might use it 4 fish also I have the light fixture things and wires.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom