Why is my beardie hiding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celeste

I have a very healthy and happy bearded dragon about 2-3 months old. He loves being outside, loves attention and eats very well (about 20 crickets a day, as well as salad). I haven't actually seen him drink or lick water, but I mist his veggies and his cage (twice a day) and give his baths every other day.
But now his behavior has suddenly changed. When his lights go on in the mornings, he tries to hide underneath whatever he can find, and sits in the shade of his branch most of the day. I put his in the sun, but after a few minutes he looks for hiding place again.
His skin shed 2 weeks ago, so it cant be that. He is not running around, and isn't as lively as he used to be.
I didn't change anything. Not his light, diet, routine, so I don't understand why he is suddenly changing?
As a result his skin color is also very dark, and that worries me
Can anyone tell me why this is, and if this is normal?

fez09

Extreme Poster
Hi! You're right, it's not normal for him to be hiding. Can you give us a run down of your setup.
What type of cage does he have
What temps is he kept and and what type of thermometer do you use
What type of UVB does he have?
Is he still eating the same or has that changed?

Celeste

Original Poster
Well, his basking area gets up to 105 degrees, and the cold side about 90. Night temperatures never drop below 80 degrees. I had sand as a substrate for a week, but am now using newspaper. I use a13W 10.0 UVB lamp and a 25Watt basking lamp (which is what the petshop recommended) lights go on at 6:00 in the morning and off at 20:00.
The basking lamp is on the warm side of the viv with a branch to bask on. The cooler side also has a branch with leafy decorations (which is what he is hiding under) as well as a salad bowl and a water bowl.
I am using a 20 Gal viv, as Levi is only 2 months old and very small.
He is stil eating all his food, like he used to. The only change is his behavior?

fez09

Extreme Poster
Eeeeek, that's most likely the problem. That type has had so many problems. There have been studies done recently that show that the Reptisun 10.0 tube is the best on the market. The coil bulbs can actually cause damage and swelling to the eyes...you can order a Reptisun for about $25.00 from www.petmountain.com I made the same mistake when I got my first beardie. I would change ASAP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom