Why is Billie so stressed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My bearded dragon Billie(female) has been glass surfing a lot lately. A little over a month ago I had taken her to vet to get checked out because she had been very lethargic and the vet told me that her problem was that she wasn’t getting enough heat. So I got a screen lid and put a makeshift tinfoil covering on it to help trap the heat in more, as well as add an extra uvb light behind the heat lamp that he said I should do. After that she became much more active and the heat factor didn’t seem to be a problem anymore, but not long after Billie started to glass surf a lot. At first I thought she was just bored or hungry because she would do it early in the morning shortly after the heat lamp turned on, but after a while it became so constant that it was the only thing she did anymore, and even if I take her out of the tank she’ll usually just go over to the tank again and glass surf from the outside. This has gone on for so long now she’s even beginning to eat less, but I have no idea what could be causing her so much stress :(
The tank is 60 gallons and there’s a little hammock in the corner that she can lay on or go under for shade from time to time if she gets overheated. There’s always a water bowl in there and a food dish with either greens or T-Rex brand dry formula and for meat she either eats dubia roaches or crickets. I don’t have a thermometer to measure the exact temperature in the tank, but whenever I pick her up she seems nice and warm and alert.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok so your T 8 sitting on top of the screen is getting about 30% of those rays blocked - it needs to go inside the tank w/ NO clear plastic cover over the bulb if you have one on --- please take it off-- get it inside the tank directly over the basking decor piece w / a distance of 6-8 inches ---- then watch his behavior -- T 8's need to be changed out every 6 months I recommend every 5--- if you need help hanging the hood please ask I will post some things to hang w/

Makennastone323

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2cwqxvsp said:
Ok so your T 8 sitting on top of the screen is getting about 30% of those rays blocked - it needs to go inside the tank w/ NO clear plastic cover over the bulb if you have one on --- please take it off-- get it inside the tank directly over the basking decor piece w / a distance of 6-8 inches ---- then watch his behavior -- T 8's need to be changed out every 6 months I recommend every 5--- if you need help hanging the hood please ask I will post some things to hang w/
Yes please I would like some help with ideas to hang the hood

SPandS

Juvie Member
How has she been lately? It's getting to be spring time and that's when a lot of beardies tend to get super active trying to find a mate and that could be what's going on with her.

Have you gotten a thermometer? It's really important to have one. Low temps can cause a lot of issues but too high can cause them too, even death if overheated. So please get a thermometer if you haven't already, preferably a digital one with a probe to get the most accurate basking temps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom