Why does she like this spot sooo much? pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jelly

She always likes to chill ontop of her hiding spot, never getting off of it, only to go eat her salad. The hiding spot isn't even that warm. Does this mean anything? How can I get her to go to other spots??

JeffSimpson

Juvie Member
Jelly":k7kxkk1c said:
She always likes to chill ontop of her hiding spot, never getting off of it, only to go eat her salad. The hiding spot isn't even that warm. Does this mean anything? How can I get her to go to other spots??

Well it looks like it's right under the UVB light. You really want them to have a basking spot that provides UVB and heat (100-110F). WIth the fluorescent tubes, you want them to be able to get within 6-8" of it, so the fact that it's not that warm there is a problem.

Jelly

Original Poster
JeffSimpson":3iklbb2n said:
Well it looks like it's right under the UVB light. You really want them to have a basking spot that provides UVB and heat (100-110F). WIth the fluorescent tubes, you want them to be able to get within 6-8" of it, so the fact that it's not that warm there is a problem.

Look, even if I move the UV light all the way to the right so that its above the basking spot, the hiding spot would still be under the UV light meaning that she would still stay on that rock. And I'm not saying that the hiding spot is cold. It's a dark colored rock so it holds in heat really well. Since it's next to the basking spot, it absorbs the heat making it 90-95F compared to the basking spot which is 105-110F. I am just concerned why she suddenly started going on that rock all of a sudden. She used to bask a lot and now she just chills on that hiding spot lol.

Ric

Hatchling Member
Taking a closer look at your enclosure that hide looks to be only rock large enough that she can fully fit onto.

Maybe if you offered her more places that she fits on she would move to the basking site.

And like someone else said she's going to the UVB light. Dragons can see the difference between UVB and non UVB from what I have read. I would guess she's just trying to best catch some rays. You've placed said rays right above a rock that she just happens to fit perfectly on so she's taking advantage of it.

Jelly

Original Poster
Ric":32boaj74 said:
Taking a closer look at your enclosure that hide looks to be only rock large enough that she can fully fit onto.

Maybe if you offered her more places that she fits on she would move to the basking site.

And like someone else said she's going to the UVB light. Dragons can see the difference between UVB and non UVB from what I have read. I would guess she's just trying to best catch some rays. You've placed said rays right above a rock that she just happens to fit perfectly on so she's taking advantage of it.

But seeing that the light is a reptiglo 10, why would she want to continue staying on that rock? (waiting for an arcadia to come in the mail)

wes

Juvie Member
Could the ambient temps have increased so the basking spot is now too warm? Or was something else changed in the setup?

If you moved your UVB light to the right and your basking light to the left, so it shines between the hide and the basking spot, you would have a setup similar to mine in that there would be three basking spots to choose from, all at different temperatures. I did this on accident, but it works out really well.

Ric

Hatchling Member
Jelly":2mk6gtch said:
But seeing that the light is a reptiglo 10, why would she want to continue staying on that rock? (waiting for an arcadia to come in the mail)

Cause she can't read and they all aren't faulty or that bad and it's the only UV choice she has. Have you measured temps?

Jelly

Original Poster
Ric":1fnjtz5o said:
Jelly":1fnjtz5o said:

Cause she can't read and they all aren't faulty or that bad and it's the only UV choice she has. Have you measured temps?

Yeah the temps were a bit high(around 110-113), I raised the light higher up so the basking spot should be more comfortable for her... I'll see what happens tomorrow it's night time right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bearded dragon
Top Bottom