Why does my beardie open his mouth when I try and pick it up he bites me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Striker101

Original Poster
I’ve had my beardie for 2 months now and each time I try and pick him up he opens his mouth sometimes he will bite I pick up from the side and he still won’t allow me to I’m terrified to pick him up but I’ve started back trying again any advice on how to fix this

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I’ve had my beardie for 2 months now and each time I try and pick him up he opens his mouth sometimes he will bite I pick up from the side and he still won’t allow me to I’m terrified to pick him up but I’ve started back trying again any advice on how to fix this
Behavior can be attributed to incorrect lighting --- also how old is the dragon? If hes a baby he needs to be hand tamed -- you can try hand feeding him some worms or BSFL -- but we need to go over the lighting and basking temps-- please post a pic of the tank and his/her lighting

shadoni

Hi. My beardie bit me once and it was my fault. I would not attempt to pick up any creature showing aggressive behavior. So choose a time when he is awake but not overly active. You have to be comfortable in your motion. If you squeeze too hard or move too fast he will be frightened. If your beardie is less than 6 months old be patient. Continue to handle with care. Don't be terrified. I think therein lies your problem. Reach for him with a smooth motion and cup him next to your body or your hand if he is small. If he doesn't calm within a short time return him to his home. Repeat. Best of luck.

Striker101

Original Poster
Behavior can be attributed to incorrect lighting --- also how old is the dragon? If hes a baby he needs to be hand tamed -- you can try hand feeding him some worms or BSFL -- but we need to go over the lighting and basking temps-- please post a pic of the tank and his/her lighting
He’s still a baby I’m still trying to figure all this out I’m new to this lol I know I need to add more to his tank because he’s only got a few items in it I currently have 1 light on one side 😩 but I don’t know if it’s good enough I got it from PetSmart

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 107
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 121

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
He’s still a baby I’m still trying to figure all this out I’m new to this lol I know I need to add more to his tank because he’s only got a few items in it I currently have 1 light on one side 😩 but I don’t know if it’s good enough I got it from PetSmart
Please tell me what that one light is -- do you still have the box or look on the bulb itself --- how are you taking basking temps? NO stickons they are inaccurate --- you need a digital probe thermometer to get accurate temps---

Striker101

Original Poster
Please tell me what that one light is -- do you still have the box or look on the bulb itself --- how are you taking basking temps? NO stickons they are inaccurate --- you need a digital probe thermometer to get accurate temps---
It says 75W and I haven’t purchased a thermometer for it I just was told I needed on in it 🤦🏾‍♀️ Like I said I’m new to this and the guy that sold me my beardie gave me these items but never said that part

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It says 75W and I haven’t purchased a thermometer for it I just was told I needed on in it 🤦🏾‍♀️ Like I said I’m new to this and the guy that sold me my beardie gave me these items but never said that part
Ok so the first thing we need to do is get the tank set up properly --- you need to go back to Petsmart and get this ASAP -- get two of them
how big is the tank ? You need this for a UVB your dragon will not live w/ out one
Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO Hood you want a 24" hood for a 40+ gallon tank --Please do not listen to any more Pet Smart people --- they do not know what they are talking about

Striker101

Original Poster
Will this work if soo I’ll pick it up tomorrow morning

Attachments

• 028C0CDE-8F77-4228-A228-DD4B27C0AB6D.jpg
    028C0CDE-8F77-4228-A228-DD4B27C0AB6D.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 106

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Will this work if soo I’ll pick it up tomorrow morning
Yes but do not buy any Thrive UVB's they are NO good -- please look at what I posted and you need to get your dragon this stuff I posted ASAP -- that UVB is EXTREMELY important --- how big is your tank ????????????????

Striker101

Original Poster
Ok so the first thing we need to do is get the tank set up properly --- you need to go back to Petsmart and get this ASAP -- get two of them
how big is the tank ? You need this for a UVB your dragon will not live w/ out one
Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO Hood you want a 24" hood for a 40+ gallon tank --Please do not listen to any more Pet Smart people --- they do not know what they are talking about
Okay I will grab as soon as their open in the morning should I grab a different bulb and lamp also? I feel so bad now I’m still learning how to care for

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Okay I will grab as soon as their open in the morning should I grab a different bulb and lamp also? I feel so bad now I’m still learning how to care for
Please go to the website I posted for a UVB --- Petsmart carries T 8's you want a T 5 ----- what size tank do you have? Here is a pic of what you need for a UVB do not get a 18 or 20 inch fixture --- for a 40 + gallon tank you want a 24" fixture
ReptiSun_T5_Hood_150x150.jpg
I need to know what size your tank is --

Striker101

Original Poster
Please go to the website I posted for a UVB --- Petsmart carries T 8's you want a T 5 ----- what size tank do you have? Here is a pic of what you need for a UVB do not get a 18 or 20 inch fixture --- for a 40 + gallon tank you want a 24" fixture
ReptiSun_T5_Hood_150x150.jpg
I need to know what size your tank is --
It’s a 20 Gallon tank for now

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It’s a 20 Gallon tank for now
Ok so w/ this Zoo Med fixture I posted I want you to use the 5.0 bulb that comes w/ the fixture --- it will need to be UNOBSTRUCTED meaning NO screen and your basking decor piece needs to be 6-8 inches directly above the decor piece ---- I will help you set it up when you get it but you MUST get this right away hes been too long w/ out UVB --- once we get the proper temps and correct UVB he will not be as aggressive anymore be we must get these fixed ASAP ---------- is it warm where you are ???? Like 65+ degrees outside

Striker101

Original Poster
Ok so w/ this Zoo Med fixture I posted I want you to use the 5.0 bulb that comes w/ the fixture --- it will need to be UNOBSTRUCTED meaning NO screen and your basking decor piece needs to be 6-8 inches directly above the decor piece ---- I will help you set it up when you get it but you MUST get this right away hes been too long w/ out UVB --- once we get the proper temps and correct UVB he will not be as aggressive anymore be we must get these fixed ASAP ---------- is it warm where you are ???? Like 65+ degrees outside
No it’s fall so it’s low 50 degrees but inside my house it’s at 75 I hate the cold lol and okay I will get to ordering now thank you so much for explaining everything to me

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
No it’s fall so it’s low 50 degrees but inside my house it’s at 75 I hate the cold lol and okay I will get to ordering now thank you so much for explaining everything to me
Please let me know when you get the UVB so I can help you along w/ the basking temps--- that probe needs to go on the spot where your dragon basks leave there for 10 min or so then look at the temp for a baby 105-110 --- if hes 5-6 months old you can try 95-100 but he may still like the warmer temps --- he will eventually quit eating w/ out proper temps and UVB those are the two most important things in that tank ---

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom