Why does my bearded dragon have stress spots? Can they get separation anxiety?

sunnystunna

Beardie name(s)
Oslo/Ozzie
Hi! So my rescue, Oslo pretty much has stress spots any time he’s left in his enclosure. Never when he’s outside of it, though. It doesn’t matter if I’ve taken him shopping with me, have him in the floor, on my chest, or outside. No stress spots ever. But when he’s left in his enclosure for more than a few hours he gets stress spots that are usually pretty dark. I even swapped him out of the 50 he came in to a 4x2x2 and he’s still getting the spots. He usually goes in his hide on the warm side and sticks his head out and opens his mouth a little when he’s stressed. Not sure why. That part just started happening about 2-3 weeks ago.

The only thing I can find wrong about the setup is his humidity is a little high right now (45-55). I’m not sure why but with both his old and new enclosure, when I first set them up they had high humidity & it slowly came out after about two weeks with the old one. I’m doing everything I can to get it down. But this behavior started way before the humidity went up. Regardless, here are some specs. Please ask for additional info:

4x2x2 meridian habitat by zen habitats
24in UVB tube, 10.0 T5, mounted inside enclosure next to basking bulbs.
2 90 W halogen bulbs

90-95 hot side
80 cool side

45-55 humidity.

Slate tile for flooring

Dubias, 3 once a week
Soldier fly larva, 4 every other day
Horn worms, one 2x a week

Daily veggies:
Mustard greens
Butternut squash
Yellow squash
Turnip greens

2x a week:
Carrots
Bell pepper (red)
Bok choy
Napa cabbage

1x a week:
Blue berries
Sugar snap peas

Top with calcium & bee pollen daily, D3 2x a week.

Bowel movements every other day, have never been solid & vet doesn’t seem too concerned about it considering his health.

Oslo also is recovering from MBD & is in renal failure.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi! So my rescue, Oslo pretty much has stress spots any time he’s left in his enclosure. Never when he’s outside of it, though. It doesn’t matter if I’ve taken him shopping with me, have him in the floor, on my chest, or outside. No stress spots ever. But when he’s left in his enclosure for more than a few hours he gets stress spots that are usually pretty dark. I even swapped him out of the 50 he came in to a 4x2x2 and he’s still getting the spots. He usually goes in his hide on the warm side and sticks his head out and opens his mouth a little when he’s stressed. Not sure why. That part just started happening about 2-3 weeks ago.

The only thing I can find wrong about the setup is his humidity is a little high right now (45-55). I’m not sure why but with both his old and new enclosure, when I first set them up they had high humidity & it slowly came out after about two weeks with the old one. I’m doing everything I can to get it down. But this behavior started way before the humidity went up. Regardless, here are some specs. Please ask for additional info:

4x2x2 meridian habitat by zen habitats
24in UVB tube, 10.0 T5, mounted inside enclosure next to basking bulbs.
2 90 W halogen bulbs

90-95 hot side
80 cool side

45-55 humidity.

Slate tile for flooring

Dubias, 3 once a week
Soldier fly larva, 4 every other day
Horn worms, one 2x a week

Daily veggies:
Mustard greens
Butternut squash
Yellow squash
Turnip greens

2x a week:
Carrots
Bell pepper (red)
Bok choy
Napa cabbage

1x a week:
Blue berries
Sugar snap peas

Top with calcium & bee pollen daily, D3 2x a week.

Bowel movements every other day, have never been solid & vet doesn’t seem too concerned about it considering his health.

Oslo also is recovering from MBD & is in renal failure.
How are you getting your surface basking temps? Did you have a fecal done to check for parasites?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
How long have you had him? If not long he just need to settle in. 90-95 is a tad cool, may try raising temp 95-100
Or he could just be a cuddle bug. Our rehab wants to be out all the time, i have to make her and the girlfriend leave her in to bask and get uvb.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
If he is eating good and overall healthy, just give he a lil time to settle in would be my advice. Beardies usually don't really like change. (Most of them, some seem to like the stimulation)

sunnystunna

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Oslo/Ozzie
How long have you had him? If not long he just need to settle in. 90-95 is a tad cool, may try raising temp 95-100
Or he could just be a cuddle bug. Our rehab wants to be out all the time, i have to make her and the girlfriend leave her in to bask and get uvb.
I’ve had him a little over 3 months now. He’s seemed to have adjusted really well. No stress spots when I’m around and giving him attention.

I don’t think he’s cold, because he isn’t trying to go to warmer spots. He usually stays in his cave or on the hammock in the cool side. Not sure how to get it much warmer in there anyway. I already have 2 bulbs on the screen to keep it where it is. Basking temps are 95-105 though, forgot to put that in the OG post despite that being important info.

I’m starting to think he’s just really spoiled. I’m working on a project & moved my workspace to sit beside his enclosure with the door open to see if that helped, and no stress spots but he proceeded to knock over his two fake plants on purpose while staring at me.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Basking temp stays at about 98-105.

Our vet dewormed him when I got him in May :)
Lighting in the tank is a good reason for stress marks - a long w/ temps in the tank -- they should be up to par - relocation stress is also a cause

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Got to love a good beardie tantrum lol.
(He took lessons from a cat)

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom