Why does he keep biting the mat

So my bearded dragon had paper towel substrate for a while but we decided to get him a zen mat. We put it in and he was ok for a bit but then started biting and locking it. This is not normal behavior for him so I pit in paper towels over it fearing he would hurt himself. I'm not sure why he was biting it? Can someone give me some advice I'm a new bearded owner.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Beardies can do weird stuff, I've had several that trys to eat rocks.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
So my bearded dragon had paper towel substrate for a while but we decided to get him a zen mat. We put it in and he was ok for a bit but then started biting and locking it. This is not normal behavior for him so I pit in paper towels over it fearing he would hurt himself. I'm not sure why he was biting it? Can someone give me some advice I'm a new bearded owner.
What are you giving for supplements? When they do this they are lacking something in the diet-

Cheeseball Reptiles

Original Poster
What are you giving for supplements? When they do this they are lacking something in the diet-
I gut load his crickets with calcium and dust them to. He eats lots of veggies sprinkled with reptivite vitamins, wich a few people reccomended to me for overall health benefits. I don't think I'm missing anything? But I'm a new beardie owner and I'm not sure

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I gut load his crickets with calcium and dust them to. He eats lots of veggies sprinkled with reptivite vitamins, wich a few people reccomended to me for overall health benefits. I don't think I'm missing anything? But I'm a new beardie owner and I'm not sure
How old is the dragon - how often are you giving calcium and is it d 3?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
In some cases that behavior might be linked to a lack of some nutrient but for many it's just a silly fixation.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom