Who wants to help add content to BeardedDragon.org?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That would be a great idea, an article on morphs, and the difference between morphs, colors, and breeder created color names. That has been something that I've noticed a lot of people having trouble with lately.

-Brandon

ReptileAddiction

Hatchling Member
I would also be interested in helping wherever I am needed. I would like you to note that I cannot do grammar or editing. That is definitely not a strong suit of mine. :D

SpitFyre

Sub-Adult Member
I need to get back on to this site!

I have proper grammar, good spelling skills, organizational abilities, and the ability to condense things.

The last point is proven by the fact that I compressed my useful writing skills into one sentence. >:3
May I help?

beardie

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Administrator
Founder
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cailyth, Pinky, & Brain
That's amazing! I always go to thebeardeddragon.org and learned so many new things when I had my first beardie, but it never occured to me that this was part of it. This was actually what helped a TON with the lighting issues I was having: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=148006.
Oh no! Please tell me you don't go to THEbeardeddragon.org. That site only recently started and seems to be taking content from other places (including some images from this site) without authorization. For some reason Google has deemed THAT site worthy of bumping up to the top ratings for top search terms about bearded dragons. It's rather dismaying that Google rewards sites that steal content. :(

So, please please... don't reward that site by going to it. But this site! We are trying to improve things for people (as you can see). And we have a GREAT community, which you are also part of... which I am very proud of. The community here is the best part of the site, I think.

^_^ You guys did an awesome job with the site by the way! The only thing I had major issues on was trying to help my sister determine what kind of beardie she had. The usual grey ones aren't listed as common.
Maybe we need an article on that!! :) The gray ones, though are definitely the common ones. They are what you get at your typical pet store. Unless you get yours from a breeder for a specific trait/breeding, it's almost certainly the standard gray one (like my first male was [depicted in the upper left of the site both as a baby and an adult]... he's the reason the site got started).

Though... I'm still curious about hers since she is bigger than mine and has this cute leopard-like print on her stomach.
The marks on the stomach are common in almost all beardies. They come and go, much like the darkening of the beard. Perhaps a small article about the various common markings would be helpful to people! :)

Other than that the vet is what I'm struggling with. There aren't many vets here to begin with... much less herp vets, which it makes it more complicated to just run and get a stool done at times.
Another article needed again. "How to find a herp vet", where perhaps including some guidance in places where it might be difficult. That would require pooling together some knowledge from several people, I think, but doable.

Also, there aren't any thing about the worms they can get such as what causes them or what they look like or how to prevent them on the site.
There is an article about how to deal with them:
http://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/parasitecare/

Perhaps more about prevention... but I think it's usually a practice of isolation with new beardies, much like with new fish, or other new pets being introduced into a home.

Thanks for the feedback. These are the kind of short topics I think we should have articles on! And I hope the group we get together will be able to help gather info and put together helpful and concise articles!

-Alex

MoonsAreBlue

Hatchling Member
I would be happy to help add content. Recently, I've been researching bearded dragons non-stop,and I would say I'm learning something new everyday. I currently have one female who is 4.5 months old, and I'm probably going to get another one in a few months. I also fancy myself a stickler for grammar, so I'm glad to help with anything you need, really. If you can count writing for my high school newspaper, then I have minor writing experience. :) I know I haven't been here very long, but I would love to help out.

In particular, I would like to see an article on how to purchase and arrange a healthy beardie terrarium on a budget. I know many people spoil their beardies and get the best of the best products before they even purchase their beardie. For me though, it was expensive getting everything at once, and now I'm slowly upgrading my Parthy's terrarium (including slate and an Arcadia light). However, I wish I had found an article that had everything a new owner needed to know for setting up a new terrarium. I don't just mean that I want what the temperatures should be and what substrate to and not to use. I mean I want to know which brands of lighting tend to last longer and what suggested watts are for different home temperatures. I want to know where to get cheaper but healthy feeders online.I want to know what household items can be used as good basking spots or food dishes. I want to know what I can save money on in the beginning.

I would love to have all of this information in one place! Sorry if I went on a bit long there. I just have so many little questions like these that I find difficult to search for on the internet.

Oh no! Please tell me you don't go to THEbeardeddragon.org. That site only recently started and seems to be taking content from other places (including some images from this site) without authorization. For some reason Google has deemed THAT site worthy of bumping up to the top ratings for top search terms about bearded dragons. It's rather dismaying that Google rewards sites that steal content. :(
Oh my goodness! I meant to have a space there for "the beardeddragon.org". My bad... I was in a rush and didn't read over it. lol I've only been to that site once or twice but I prefer this one since it has much more to offer! I think the only thing I liked about that one was the list of the veggies on it, but it sounds like they might have gotten that elsewhere?

So, please please... don't reward that site by going to it. But this site! We are trying to improve things for people (as you can see). And we have a GREAT community, which you are also part of... which I am very proud of. The community here is the best part of the site, I think.
I completely agree with you! ^_^ I love being able to ask a question and getting a super quick answer! And more times than not, I get more than one and comments saying that it's helped them! So it is super reliable!

Maybe we need an article on that!! :) The gray ones, though are definitely the common ones. They are what you get at your typical pet store. Unless you get yours from a breeder for a specific trait/breeding, it's almost certainly the standard gray one (like my first male was [depicted in the upper left of the site both as a baby and an adult]... he's the reason the site got started).
Good! That's what I kept telling my sister, *sigh* but she couldn't seem to find anything agreeing with me... And he's adorable! We still don't know much about hers like the age or anything (another reason looking for a vet), but she's huge... I originally was just watching it for a family member's son, but we ended up taking her in. When we first got her she was so pitiful... she didn't do anything! When you picked her up she just stayed the same way never moved and how you set her down is how she stayed. :( Luckily, I did crazy amounts of research after I got mine so after getting her the proper food (not iguana pellets like she had come with) and a Reptisun 10.0 and a basking light for some heat, she has finally started moving and has become alert and loves to go outside and roam around (though she still has some depth perception issues and is hard for her to eat crickets, but that's what tongs are for I suppose) and seems to like being pet on her head since she always closes her eyes and waits until you stop to do anything else (I wish mine showed affection like that). ^_^

Another article needed again. "How to find a herp vet", where perhaps including some guidance in places where it might be difficult. That would require pooling together some knowledge from several people, I think, but doable.
That would be the best thing ever! ^_^ I did hear about a site from someone posting in the Health area that could do a stool for like $5 and you could buy the treatment for worms from as well, which just amazed me!

Lol Thank you! I believe I just skipped right over it! ^_^

Thanks for the feedback. These are the kind of short topics I think we should have articles on! And I hope the group we get together will be able to help gather info and put together helpful and concise articles!
-Alex
Thank you for all the answers on everything! I really do enjoy this site (more than "others" lol) and am super glad I was able to find it and am glad my issues help with article ideas... I feel bad for the people that get beardies from the pet store and no one suggest using the internet to find extra material on how to keep their dragon happy and healthy or suggest the wrong things because this was seriously a life saver for me to be able to learn more about my dragon's needs. And I'm so sorry this ended up being so long...

beardie

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Administrator
Founder
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cailyth, Pinky, & Brain
Godslilcheetos":1b3sd1i0 said:
lol I've only been to that site once or twice but I prefer this one since it has much more to offer! I think the only thing I liked about that one was the list of the veggies on it, but it sounds like they might have gotten that elsewhere?
It's hard to be sure. I do know they took some images without approval, which leads me to think the plethora of graphics they have was heavily "borrowed" (illegally). Much of the content they have does exist elsewhere, but its hard to say who had it first. I've been in the middle of issuing a bunch of DMCA cease and desists for sites that have taken large amounts of our content, especially if they claim it as their own.

Lol Thank you! I believe I just skipped right over it! ^_^
I'm hoping that some of the changes to the site that I am hoping to release this weekend will help people be more aware of the articles we have, and more easily find the content we have for our visitors. Keep an eye out... I don't think you'll be able to miss the change though... it will be obvious. :)

Thanks again for the input and feedback.

beardie

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Administrator
Founder
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cailyth, Pinky, & Brain
Hopefully, I'm not getting expectations too high. :) The changes will be obvious, and I am hopeful it will help people find more of the content on the site. But more importantly, I think it will enable for more growth and improvement in the future. :)

Ckdune25

i know a lot about biology :study: and am planning on takeing a small animal managment class at school next fall

CountofCasualty

Gray-bearded Member
If there is still space, I would love to help! Especially maybe for Canadian folks, since us northerners don't have the same options as people in the US in terms of feeders, equipment, prices for everything needed and otherwise. I've written many articles for newspapers though high school, and while my grammar could use some work, my structure I think is pretty good.

I'm no expert by any means, but in terms of certain things I'd say I'm pretty learned.

beardie

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Administrator
Founder
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cailyth, Pinky, & Brain
I've be happy to have you assist. I'll reach out to you a little later in PM.

Spike1etta

Hatchling Member
I've done a little bit of writing.
I've also got 15 years of reptile rescue under my belt, so if I can help I'd love to.

Reptile rescue? That sounds amazing! I've been majoring in physical therapy, but the more I think about it, that sounds like an absolutely amazing job! ^_^ Getting to help and revive neglected reptiles. I know when we got a female beardie to look after when her owner went to juvie or something of the sort, she hardly moved at all just laid there even when picking her up and had some serious depth perception issues. We had no idea (and still am having issues finding) of a good herp vet in the area so I was able to get her some UVB, heat, food (other than the iguana pellets she had), and some vitamins and calcium then left her in my sister's care with some tips and directions. Now she's super active, alert (still hard for her to catch crickets), and loves to run around outside on her leash! A completely new dragon. I was so happy when I checked in on her last week! Never been so proud. ^_^
Thank goodness I had found this site (and a very limited other few) that had educated me about lighting, diet, and care when I got mine so I was sure she was getting the right things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom