White tail?

PhatHead007

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Chico
My beardies tails has always been a different color than his body. Is that normal? Also it’s extra different than normal right now. Is it because of stuck old shed or is it new shed. I new to the lifestyle and trying to absorb as much knowledge as possible. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 8AD48B72-29EC-4129-B400-A73EF61D519F.jpeg
    8AD48B72-29EC-4129-B400-A73EF61D519F.jpeg
    289.1 KB · Views: 147

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
that looks like an area getting ready to shed. it is not uncommon for the end of the tail to be a lot darker than the rest of the body. the process will take longer as they get older, and will also be more patchy, sometimes even a single scale, as opposed to mostly fully body sheds when they are younger.

our sir henry will get super shiny at the beginning of a shed cycle, which then turns waxy, to almost white, then it starts to go back to normal color before finally shedding.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Absolutely looking to shed the tail area! The scales go through several coloration changes,
so no worries. The tail sometimes takes a little longer than other areas to shed.

Tracie

PhatHead007

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Chico
Hello,

Absolutely looking to shed the tail area! The scales go through several coloration changes,
so no worries. The tail sometimes takes a little longer than other areas to shed.

Tracie
Is there anything I can do to assist. Extra soaks? The tail rot fear sank in real hard lol

PhatHead007

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Chico
that looks like an area getting ready to shed. it is not uncommon for the end of the tail to be a lot darker than the rest of the body. the process will take longer as they get older, and will also be more patchy, sometimes even a single scale, as opposed to mostly fully body sheds when they are younger.

our sir henry will get super shiny at the beginning of a shed cycle, which then turns waxy, to almost white, then it starts to go back to normal color before finally shedding.
See the ringlets in his tail started just at the tip when we rehomed him at 4.5 in long on June 20th. He is 12.5 in now and the ringlets made it all the way to the base of his tail. Just worried is all. He’s just like our other kid already

Attachments

• 8856AB7A-4FAF-4C73-BF7F-88849E9C05FE.jpeg
    8856AB7A-4FAF-4C73-BF7F-88849E9C05FE.jpeg
    289.1 KB · Views: 123
  • 78397663-EB83-4F2E-9E8F-F15F121D8F18.jpeg
    78397663-EB83-4F2E-9E8F-F15F121D8F18.jpeg
    235.1 KB · Views: 83

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
See the ringlets in his tail started just at the tip when we rehomed him at 4.5 in long on June 20th. He is 12.5 in now and the ringlets made it all the way to the base of his tail. Just worried is all. He’s just like our other kid already
that's just his colors showing up more as he grows. nothing to be concerned about at all.

they don't need help shedding either. in general just let nature do its thing. definitely do not peel them, it can damage their scales. when it gets super flaky, you can do a soak and brush with a very soft toothbrush to help get the loose parts off. but be careful, too many baths isn't good for their skin. we usually do once a week (unless we have a huge poop mess). maybe one more in the week if we are getting flaky shed off.

tail rot is caused by an injury to the tail that gets infected. i don't see anything that looks like tail rot in your pictures. i get the worry part though! all of us here do the same. they are our family and we feel accordingly. can't tell ya how much time i spent in stress mode when we first got sir henry!

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Your beardie is beautiful. The tail is normal for them. I think genetics and color morph play a HUGE role in their appearance during shed. I have had 5 beardies total and no two of them looked the same during shed. The one thing they all had in common though is a tail that looks just like your dragon :)

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
They can yes. However it would be a good idea to go over your lighting, usually if they won't eat and/or not active its a lighting issue.
If you like, you could post a couple pics of you setup. If your basking or uvb happen to be off a little there are some folks here that can help you fine tune it. :)

Groggyfroggie

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Draco
My beardie is the same way -- it feels like his tail is never the same color as the rest of his body! But he's a baby so he's just constantly shedding. He also has the dark ringlets so I don't think it's anything to worry about. He definitely is less active and eating less while shedding. And goes crazy looking for stuff to rub off shed when it's ready to come off. I'd say just make sure he has some rough surface to rub off shed skin and give warm baths.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom