White spot on beard

So this just popped up out of nowhere. When I came home from work it was there…when I left at 5am it wasn’t. She hasn’t been exhibiting any strange behavior and she’s eating normal. Anyone have any idea what this could be?

Attachments

• D4C81BB9-48B7-44D4-9829-9FB59A8705DE.jpeg
    D4C81BB9-48B7-44D4-9829-9FB59A8705DE.jpeg
    238.3 KB · Views: 116

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It is definitely a patch of shed. It looks like she is a bit grouchy & has a little bit of a black
beard. Has the rest of her body recently shed?

Tracie

BeArDi3lOv3r4LiF3

Original Poster
So she’s 6 and doesn’t shed much these days and when she does it’s a small patch here and there. I have never in these 6 years see a patch turn white like that right before a shed. I guess it’s not coming through in the picture or perhaps it’s the angle but it literally looks like she dipped that part of her beard in white paint. And she wasn’t grouchy, it was wind down time and she knows her light was about to turn off so she goes to her little spot and gets comfortable and her beard and the rest of her body usually darkens a bit.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
What type of lighting is that, looks odd. The patch looks like it IS the area that shed , in contrast to the darker areas that have not.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh O.K, I know it's off topic but sometimes pictures look odd when you you have certain lighting. Some people don't like that particular bulb but I've used them with no problem. A 160 can usually only be used in a large enclosure because of the high temps. it can produce.

BeArDi3lOv3r4LiF3

Original Poster
Oh O.K, I know it's off topic but sometimes pictures look odd when you you have certain lighting. Some people don't like that particular bulb but I've used them with no problem. A 160 can usually only be used in a large enclosure because of the high temps. it can produce.
Yea I have the temps under control but I hate this light. They always burn out on me in a few months or the base detaches from the bulb and these are like $60 a pop now. I remember when they were like $34.99 haha. So when this one dies I’m going with the fluorescent tubes I’ve been reading about on here…the reptisun or arcadia 12% ones.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Sounds like a good idea if they're being so cheaply made now. I have a Powersun now on 1 cage but no other MVB's .

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I have used the mvb's in the past, i had tons of trouble out of them. I narrowed the problems to two causes. 1) if the dome is tight fitting to the bulb it overheats and bye bye bulb. 2) being shaken, these bulbs get hot and do not tolerate being jiggled, even on a front opening tank. The slight vibrations cause them to blow.
Imho they aren't worth the headaches. A good 24 inch tube and fixture with a good smaller diameter basking bulb (smaller so it don't over heat the base in the dome) is much more durable.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Yea I have the temps under control but I hate this light. They always burn out on me in a few months or the base detaches from the bulb and these are like $60 a pop now. I remember when they were like $34.99 haha. So when this one dies I’m going with the fluorescent tubes I’ve been reading about on here…the reptisun or arcadia 12% ones.
When you get the UVB placement and distance will be determined by your screen --- please post back on here when you get it

BeArDi3lOv3r4LiF3

Original Poster
One thing I forgot to mention in my original post is that she did lay an egg on Wednesday. Perhaps that’s the cause of that spot although she didn’t get that spot last time. She hasn’t laid eggs in years and the last time she did she laid a bunch and prolapsed. I really hope that doesn’t happen again because it scared me to death and I read that once it happens it’s most likely going to happen again. I actually never took her to the vet, I know I should have but I did talk to her and under her direction I soaked her in sugar water, carefully cleaned the exposed organ and gently pushed it back in and it was fine.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom