Where is the best place to pet a Beardie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heyimbrit

Juvie Member
I like to pet mine down the bavk like stroking a cat or dog, on the back of the head in the little "u" shaped hole that the bones make, and on the chin. Just make sure that you always stroke the way that the scales go so you don't hurt them.

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
Most of mine enjoy the top of their snout to be rubbed gently but, then again all my dragons just adore most attention they receive in this form. Thor is my only picky guy, he likes the snout rub still but, the only other place I can pet him without him freaking out is just under the ridge on the back of his head on his neck..

Blankenship24

Hatchling Member
I pretty much pet my girl Ziva anywhere. Stroke down her back, her beard, top of her snout, her head. She seems to love the beard rub and top of her snout best.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
I doubt they like their ear holes rubbed o_O but I could be wrong, did they mean the ridges above or below? Pepper doesn't care for many part of his face touched.

Reptiles don't really have the same sort of idea of affection that mammals and other pets might. You have to keep an eye on your dragons for personal preferences. Anything that makes him freeze up, pull or tip away from, get wide eyed or close his eyes probably something he doesn't like. Not to say he won't get used to it tough.

coffeebutt

My own beardie tolerates me petting her down her back until she scampers off, that or where here little shoulder pad things are. She doesn't like to be pet up on top of her head as she'll close her eyes which i know means she isn't enjoying it and wants me to stop.

Gotta be 'careful' as lizards react differently than mammals.

SDragon

Juvie Member
It's always best to avoid the top of the head, right in the centre is the parietal eye which is sensitive to light and when it perceives shadow this can cause a stress of defensive response.

coffeebutt

SDragon":g6zu0efc said:
It's always best to avoid the top of the head, right in the centre is the parietal eye which is sensitive to light and when it perceives shadow this can cause a stress of defensive response.
YES exactly that's what I figured with her little middle/third eye there. I could see why they wouldn't like that.

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
SDragon":322xqyhe said:

I have never personally had any issues with petting over the parietal eye of any of my dragons. But, again to each their own.

Michael

Ciele loves loves loves to be pet on the top of his head, he likes being pet under his chin occasionally. When he's upset he loves his back to be rubbed. Doesn't like his tummy being touched what so ever. Oddly enough he likes the base of his tail being pet...He's just very cuddly lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom