When's the right time for euthansia?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vegullaaimee

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Chico
Hello,

Poor tail, how did that begin, from a bad shed?
He looks quite alert though, in those pictures in my opinion. He doesn't appear stressed & his
eyes are not sunken in. His left hand appears that it is going to shed, is that correct?
Are you referring to the darker color on his left gum line? Did you check to see if that could be
food?
If he has a tail type of infection that would affect his behavior & health. I would consider getting
his tail cleared up if possible, using raw honey on it or silver gel. How much of the tail was taken
off initially for the tail issues previously? They just snipped it off? Since he has gout I wouldn't give
antibiotics but they can deaden part of the tail in order to snip it off so infection doesn't set in. So sorry,
that is likely what is causing some of his problems, it may hurt him right now.
I wouldn't give up on him yet. Try to see what you can get done about his tail first & keep getting food
& fluids into him also if at all possible for nutritional support.

Tracie
Thank you and I do have some raw unfiltered honey I can place on it. Yes he is shedding again and the rot started when I first got him. The vet said he had precious stuck in shed looks like years of build up when I got him but he was too little and in bad health to do surgery at the time. Thank you I will continue trying

vegullaaimee

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Chico
Hello,

He looks quite alert though, in those pictures in my opinion. He doesn't appear stressed & his
eyes are not sunken in. His left hand appears that it is going to shed, is that correct?
Are you referring to the darker color on his left gum line? Did you check to see if that could be
food?
If he has a tail type of infection that would affect his behavior & health. I would consider getting
his tail cleared up if possible, using raw honey on it or silver gel. How much of the tail was taken
off initially for the tail issues previously? They just snipped it off? Since he has gout I wouldn't give
antibiotics but they can deaden part of the tail in order to snip it off so infection doesn't set in. So sorry,
I wouldn't give up on him yet. Try to see what you can get done about his tail first & keep getting food

Tracie
How far up with the honey should I go? He is also shedding on his tail

vegullaaimee

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Chico
Hello,

food?

Tracie
Also he didn't have much removed but I asked them to go up 2 extra bands than their decision in order to make sure it's all cut off so about 2.5 inches was surgically removed.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Ok, that is good there wasn't a lot of the tail, it happens often.
You can go up a couple of bands or rings above the darker area. Since it is shedding, the honey
will definitely help out. Are you giving a weekly bath too?

Tracie

vegullaaimee

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Chico
Hello,

Ok, that is good there wasn't a lot of the tail, it happens often.
You can go up a couple of bands or rings above the darker area. Since it is shedding, the honey
will definitely help out. Are you giving a weekly bath too?

Tracie
Thanks and yes ma'am he gets a bath every other day because he is prone to dehydration because he will not drink on his own. It takes me the longest time to get him to drink so we mainly do it via syringe but he will generally only take about 3ml per day in without fighting... I give him one ml at a time multiple times per day but he generally will take three without blackbeardeing and bobbing aggressively

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Bless him, I believe you are doing everything you can for him. The oral fluids sound like they are
doing him a lot of good. You also give black/tart cherry juice daily too?
It is hard keeping them hydrated, especially if you can't get them to drink on their own which a lot
of them just wont.
Please let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

vegullaaimee

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Chico
Hello,

Bless him, I believe you are doing everything you can for him. The oral fluids sound like they are
It is hard keeping them hydrated, especially if you can't get them to drink on their own which a lot
of them just wont.

T

Hello,

of them just wont.

Tracie
Hello,
Yes he receives 0.2 black cherry extract with 0.3 Pedialyte and 0.5 H2O daily he ate incredibly well yesterday and took in 3ml of water for the day I wish I could get more in him but he starts to Blackbeard and head bob his tail rot is still creeping up we have a vet appointment this week to get it removed again....let's hope they don't charge me again😂😂😂 but if they do I'll pay for it because Chico is my baby. The swelling in his back right toe has went down tremendously. He even walked for a while yesterday outside. But I also think he maybe starting to get mouth rot as well🤦🏻‍♀️

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Great, it really sounds like he is getting better now & taking in water right now. I posted on your
other thread regarding his tail, so sorry he has to get more of his tail removed!
At least his gout does seem to be under control though. Let us know how his surgery goes!

Tracie

vegullaaimee

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Chico
Hello,

Great, it really sounds like he is getting better now & taking in water right now. I posted on your
other thread regarding his tail, so sorry he has to get more of his tail removed!
At least his gout does seem to be under control though. Let us know how his surgery goes!

Tracie
His surgery went extremely well and it appears to be healing nicely.....thank you!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is good news! I hope his tail heals up completely this time. Post pictures when
you get a chance.

Tracie

vegullaaimee

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Chico
Hello,

That is good news! I hope his tail heals up completely this time. Post pictures when
you get a chance.

Tracie
Well I hope this is just healing today. I think it looks like she didn't get all the tail rot but we shall see I'm going to call them today. Looks like it's turning black again but I'm hoping it's just bruised but I think it does need to be looked at.

Attachments

• IMG_20220331_175020290_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220331_175020290_HDR.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_20220331_175040883_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220331_175040883_HDR.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 66

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is hopefully just some graying that is going to be shedding. Keep an eye out for the color changes
to watch for possible infection.
Is he doing well though, after his surgery?

Tracie

vegullaaimee

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Chico
Hello,

That is hopefully just some graying that is going to be shedding. Keep an eye out for the color changes
to watch for possible infection.
Is he doing well though, after his surgery?

Tracie
Yes he is eating all kinds of veggies out of his bowl except the greens I have tried every green possible with him that's acceptable for bearded dragons he will only eat them if I blend them with other veggies. He is also drinking on his own from the tap....so only having to syringe feed him greens. Yesterday he ate voluntarily green beans, carrots, peas and squash 2 dandelions....he is now refusing the live mealworms and silkworms. I really don't want to give him a different type of insect because these are the two lowest in purines.... because of his gout....also do you think the gut load for the insects would make him not eat it? Ever since I have added the gut load he will not eat the insects!

vegullaaimee

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Chico
Yes he is eating all kinds of veggies out of his bowl except the greens I have tried every green possible with him that's acceptable for bearded dragons he will only eat them if I blend them with other veggies. He is also drinking on his own from the tap....so only having to syringe feed him greens. Yesterday he ate voluntarily green beans, carrots, peas and squash 2 dandelions....he is now refusing the live mealworms and silkworms. I really don't want to give him a different type of insect because these are the two lowest in purines.... because of his gout....also do you think the gut load for the insects would make him not eat it? Ever since I have added the gut load he will not eat the insects!
Update he ate 5 mealworms today I offered him a silkworm he will not eat it!🤣

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Good to hear he did eat a few mealworms! Well, some simply don't like the silkworms, while
others love them....who knows why? You could try hornworms, if you wanted just to see if he
was interested.
If you try putting a little bit of applesauce on the greens, maybe he might try them then. Let us
know how he is doing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mangobango4
Top Bottom