When's the right time for euthansia?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vegullaaimee

Beardie name(s)
Chico
I have a 6-7 year old bearded dragon that I got in Dec of 2021 from a very neglected situation. He was under .1 kg now he is .39kg I have to force feed him vegg slurry and water. He had tail rot that was removed on 2-15-22 because he was too weak and underweight for surgery. He also has gout that keeps him from walking. He may take 2 steps of that. I have to usually move him or carry him around. He was voluntarily eating the veg slurry and water off the tip of his nose now he isn't. He maybe eating 5 dubia roaches and 2cc of veg slurry a day and about 1cc of water per day. I also think he has lost a significant amount of weight since we went to the vet 8 days ago he will however eat a few dandelion greens and flowers a few times a day maybe 3-4. Is that even enough food and water for a bearded dragon? Basking, uvb, humidity and temp are all correct. He generally does not leave his hammock. Looks like he maybe a little dehydrated now I do soak him everyday now as well as trying to give him water multiple times a day and a few drops of Pedialyte he does get his calcium and vitamins. Vet cannot find anything wrong with him now other that gout.

Attachments

• IMG_20220318_162149723.jpg
    IMG_20220318_162149723.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 176

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I have a 6-7 year old bearded dragon that I got in Dec of 2021 from a very neglected situation. He was under .1 kg now he is .39kg I have to force feed him vegg slurry and water. He had tail rot that was removed on 2-15-22 because he was too weak and underweight for surgery. He also has gout that keeps him from walking. He may take 2 steps of that. I have to usually move him or carry him around. He was voluntarily eating the veg slurry and water off the tip of his nose now he isn't. He maybe eating 5 dubia roaches and 2cc of veg slurry a day and about 1cc of water per day. I also think he has lost a significant amount of weight since we went to the vet 8 days ago he will however eat a few dandelion greens and flowers a few times a day maybe 3-4. Is that even enough food and water for a bearded dragon? Basking, uvb, humidity and temp are all correct. He generally does not leave his hammock. Looks like he maybe a little dehydrated now I do soak him everyday now as well as trying to give him water multiple times a day and a few drops of Pedialyte he does get his calcium and vitamins. Vet cannot find anything wrong with him now other that gout.
Please go over your lighting and how your taking surface basking temps- brand and bulb of uvb - is it in the tank or top of screen-- please post more pics of him - I am flagging your post to our vet tech-
@Drache613

vegullaaimee

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Chico
Please go over your lighting and how your taking surface basking temps- brand and bulb of uvb - is it in the tank or top of screen-- please post more pics of him - I am flagging your post to our vet tech-
@Drache613
Temps are 95-105°f on hot side 81-86°f on cool side I am using a CHE at night a 150w repti sun basking light and a reptisun 10.0 t5 HO tube light for UVB it is approximately 10.5 inches from the basking area. Humidity sits around 44-55% day through night. He was before having a cheap day and night bulb from Walmart no basking spot and fed 100% dried meal worms for years and only had temps around 75°f (not my doing). I have him at the vet every single week for my peace of mind. The vet gave him around 6 months before he suggests euthansia. I think it maybe a little sooner. He won't walk or voluntarily eat or drink anymore.😭😭😭😭 I know it's becoming time.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Temps are 95-105°f on hot side 81-86°f on cool side I am using a CHE at night a 150w repti sun basking light and a reptisun 10.0 t5 HO tube light for UVB it is approximately 10.5 inches from the basking area. Humidity sits around 44-55% day through night. He was before having a cheap day and night bulb from Walmart no basking spot and fed 100% dried meal worms for years and only had temps around 75°f (not my doing). I have him at the vet every single week for my peace of mind. The vet gave him around 6 months before he suggests euthansia. I think it maybe a little sooner. He won't walk or voluntarily eat or drink anymore.😭😭😭😭 I know it's becoming time.
Ok I flagged your post-- I am so sorry

vegullaaimee

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Chico
He has also had surgery to remove the crystals from his joints and has been once for fluids.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry I didn't see your post. The picture on the above post, is that what he currently looks like?
Since he has gout, did the vet not give him any medication or have any suggestions for help with
improving his condition?
I would recommend getting some black or tart cherry juice extract to use daily for help with flushing
out his uric acid levels. Will he not prescribe allopurinol for him?
I would also try to give 2-4mls of oral fluids daily to help. The calcium that you currently use, does it
have D3 or is it without?

Tracie

vegullaaimee

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Chico
He is on allopurinol 0.2ml daily. I did start black cherry tart I give him 0.2 ml mixed with 0.3 Pedialyte and 0.5 H20 once daily. His calcium does have D3 and he gets a vitamin 2 times per week via vet request. He actually started taking steps and eating some voluntarily. The vet decided against euthansia at the moment. I have also been feeding him dragon approved veggies for gout, not much fruit, and switched to meal worms because they are mostly moisture. I'm mixing his greens with alfalfa powder for extra protein because he is still getting syringe fed as well. Last vet check he couldn't believe it was the same dragon. TIA for all the care and support you all give!!!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Ok, terrific to hear he is on the Allopurinol daily, it is a safe medication & very effective. I'm happy you did
start the black or tart cherry juice for him also. They are remarkable souls & are capable of recovering
quite well. At least your vet is against putting him down right now, he deserves a chance.
I think the D3 could be cut out to decrease stress on the kidneys. Since you are using a T5 tube bulb, he
is likely getting adequate D3 synthesis. Which brand of T5 is it?
Great to hear you are mixing the alfalfa leaf powder in with his food/greens. It is a really good non purine
source of protein to give to him.
Keep us posted on him & his progress.

Tracie

vegullaaimee

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Chico
Hello,

Ok, terrific to hear he is on the Allopurinol daily, it is a safe medication & very effective. I'm happy you did
start the black or tart cherry juice for him also. They are remarkable souls & are capable of recovering
quite well. At least your vet is against putting him down right now, he deserves a chance.
I think the D3 could be cut out to decrease stress on the kidneys. Since you are using a T5 tube bulb, he
is likely getting adequate D3 synthesis. Which brand of T5 is it?
Great to hear you are mixing the alfalfa leaf powder in with his food/greens. It is a really good non purine
source of protein to give to him.
Keep us posted on him & his progress.

Tracie
The t5 light is zoo med or repti med it was the one that Karrie said I needed to get and thank you yesterday he ate half his bowl of greens so one half big collard and one small turnip green every time he ate a mealworm I placed these in his mouth so hopefully I can stop syringe feeding him

vegullaaimee

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Chico
The t5 light is zoo med or repti med it was the one that Karrie said I needed to get and thank you yesterday he ate half his bowl of greens so one half big collard and one small turnip green every time he ate a mealworm I placed these in his mouth so hopefully I can stop syringe feeding him
Also I'll order some calcium D3 free right now

vegullaaimee

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Chico
Today he hasn't eaten anything I also think his tail rot is coming back I've got to call the vet in the morning.... He's not as active as yesterday and today I noticed a small black spot on his lip.....it's probably getting time. He's not flipping over to his feet when I put him in his back

vegullaaimee

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Chico
Pics from today!!!

Attachments

• IMG_20220326_180928862.jpg
    IMG_20220326_180928862.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_20220326_180847000.jpg
    IMG_20220326_180847000.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 76

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor tail, how did that begin, from a bad shed?
He looks quite alert though, in those pictures in my opinion. He doesn't appear stressed & his
eyes are not sunken in. His left hand appears that it is going to shed, is that correct?
Are you referring to the darker color on his left gum line? Did you check to see if that could be
food?
If he has a tail type of infection that would affect his behavior & health. I would consider getting
his tail cleared up if possible, using raw honey on it or silver gel. How much of the tail was taken
off initially for the tail issues previously? They just snipped it off? Since he has gout I wouldn't give
antibiotics but they can deaden part of the tail in order to snip it off so infection doesn't set in. So sorry,
that is likely what is causing some of his problems, it may hurt him right now.
I wouldn't give up on him yet. Try to see what you can get done about his tail first & keep getting food
& fluids into him also if at all possible for nutritional support.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom