When will I be loved too?

Lydstar

Beardie name(s)
Nacho
We’ve had nacho since 12/26/22 so almost 3 months (as I’m posting this I remembered reading back on here it could take as long as 3 months for babies to get “comfortable “) when will he start loving me? I can be walking towards the enclose from halfway across the room and he starts slinking down on his perch so I don’t see him! I never bother him, I’m not keen on removing him from his enclosure if he doesn’t want to be removed, so every day I stick my head in and my hands in and try to get him to come on my hand for 10/15 mins. He never does and that’s ok, one day he will. But why is he still so scared of me that he has to hide! I am the primary care taker for him, I feed him, bathe him, clean his enclosure, change his salads. Like dude you don’t know I’m your mama yet?! But I love you! Lol added a picture of said hiding. I was trying to take a pic of his back shed because he looked like he was wearing a cape

Attachments

• 6C8FA6B8-C969-4567-8CCC-FA3F2C3B53F7.jpeg
    6C8FA6B8-C969-4567-8CCC-FA3F2C3B53F7.jpeg
    222.6 KB · Views: 73

Subion

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Zilla
We’ve had nacho since 12/26/22 so almost 3 months (as I’m posting this I remembered reading back on here it could take as long as 3 months for babies to get “comfortable “) when will he start loving me? I can be walking towards the enclose from halfway across the room and he starts slinking down on his perch so I don’t see him! I never bother him, I’m not keen on removing him from his enclosure if he doesn’t want to be removed, so every day I stick my head in and my hands in and try to get him to come on my hand for 10/15 mins. He never does and that’s ok, one day he will. But why is he still so scared of me that he has to hide! I am the primary care taker for him, I feed him, bathe him, clean his enclosure, change his salads. Like dude you don’t know I’m your mama yet?! But I love you! Lol added a picture of said hiding. I was trying to take a pic of his back shed because he looked like he was wearing a cape
I’ve heard a lot of time that if you don’t mess with them daily they never really take to people and stay somewhat weary of them. I don’t know how true that is but I always messed with my girl since the day I got her. I’d either take her out a bit or at least reach in and pet her some until she was more comfortable. But all have their own personalities so it may take more time.

In the pic she is shedding a good bit. When they are they are more grouchy and don’t like to be messed with because the shed bothers them. So you may have to wait until that calms down some.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Be patient with him. It can take a long time. You DO need to handle him though, beardies are very much creatures of habit.
It took around a year before Zen was comfortable with me, it took another year before he started bonding with me. But in his defense he is my girlfriend's beardie and i DIDN'T spend as much time with him as i did me own beardie. He is 4 now and the biggest snuggle bug you've ever seen. Yours will get there, you just have to work with him.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
I’ve heard a lot of time that if you don’t mess with them daily they never really take to people and stay somewhat weary of them. I don’t know how true that is but I always messed with my girl since the day I got her. I’d either take her out a bit or at least reach in and pet her some until she was more comfortable. But all have their own personalities so it may take more time.

In the pic she is shedding a good bit. When they are they are more grouchy and don’t like to be messed with because the shed bothers them. So you may have to wait until that calms down some.
Your are absolutely correct. They have to socialized or they will be timid, and even with being socialized they can grow timid again if left alone for a period of time. We travel a lot and usually when we come home it takes a week or so for our beardies to settle back in with us.

Lydstar

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Nacho
A year?! Oof ok ok patience. Oh yes he is totally shedding right now! A nice big back piece came off it looked like he was wearing a cape! So even if he tries to run off still take him out? I feel bad being annoying if he’s scared

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Yes, if he us super jumpy pick him up inside his tank, or keep him over a bed or couch. They can leap in an instant, falls can hurt or kill them. Another thing you can do is put a piece of you clothing in there that smells like you. Also take him out just a bit before bedtime and let him fall asleep with you, wait till he is good and asleep before gently putting him back in his habitat.

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
The clothing worked for me...almost a year later and it's still in there. It helps with his carrier and other areas and I still wooooo when I see him snuggle up to it. Shedding is the worst time to try but right afterwards, try--he'll be a little resistant but will get used to it. Consistency is key. Do you sit in front of the enclosure and do your daily activities? Let him watch you- they are the nosiest creatures but they want to see EVERYTHING and it helps their comfort level. They think they are a part of your life and soon really become exactly that...and a big part. I wish you luck.
Remember, it's a scary time, it's change and you're a big hooman to him. He has to gain trust.
When he does, he'll trust you wholeheartedly.
The thirdeye is null and void. I almost drop Rocky when walking because I forget I have him and he think it's a game...now he knows to just climb higher!

Axil

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
If he is very food motivated like mine, you may have some luck getting him to warm up to you if you offer bugs from your hands.

BSFL are good for this because they don't move fast if you drop it. You can place one down near him if he's too scared to take it directly from your hand and it'll slowly wiggle around. Plus they are very high in calcium and small.

*edit* oh and I see yours loves Hornworms. Maybe those are valuable enough to him he will be brave and take it from your hand.

Lydstar

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Nacho
I’m gunna put the clothing in tonight! Nacho is technically housed in our “dining” room where I also work for 9+ hours a day so I am ALWAYS in site! He did take a horn worm from the tweezers the other day I am positive he’d walk onto my hand for it! He just loves them lol

Axil

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
I’m gunna put the clothing in tonight! Nacho is technically housed in our “dining” room where I also work for 9+ hours a day so I am ALWAYS in site! He did take a horn worm from the tweezers the other day I am positive he’d walk onto my hand for it! He just loves them lol
I'm not sure the tweezers are necessary unless you are against touching the bugs. I've always just held things out between my thumb and index finger. Being so small even if he misses and you get bit it won't hurt much.

Beebz has never gotten me, but she did get my daughter's finger once. Just a pinch, no blood or marks. When they get bigger my understanding is that is no longer true and they can leave a pretty good bite.

Just thinking that might make things more "personal" and help with bonding. Feeding time is my favorite part of taking care of Beebz.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom