When to let a hatchling dragon go to new home?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Learning

Hello. So I have some hatchlings that are 7 weeks and eating/pooping and shedding as expected.

They are all approx 5inch now and weigh around 10g each. (All hatched around 3g)

From everything I’ve read, they should be around 6inch and approx 8 weeks before leaving… but should they be a certain weight too? I can’t find anything about the weight on my Google quest.

Thank you.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello. So I have some hatchlings that are 7 weeks and eating/pooping and shedding as expected.

They are all approx 5inch now and weigh around 10g each. (All hatched around 3g)

From everything I’ve read, they should be around 6inch and approx 8 weeks before leaving… but should they be a certain weight too? I can’t find anything about the weight on my Google quest.

Thank you.
@AHBD

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Better to let them get at least 6 " long, they'll be hardier and able to with stand mistakes that a new owner might make. What + how much are they eating right now ? At 5" IMO it's too small, they really need tiny crickets that pet stores don't always have on hand. Crickets that are too large can cause impaction + even eventual death and that happens more with the tiny babies.

Learning

Original Poster
They have salad daily and averaging 300-350 small Dubias per day between the 10 of them. Will occasionally stick the odd calci worm in and some pin head crickets but they eat the Dubias the best.

Learning

Original Poster
Also I don’t buy any of my bugs from pet shop I always order off the internet as best value for money…. Is 5inch too small for there age? They have all doubled in size since hatching but I’m not sure what is normal as this is our first successful clutch born

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
O.K, that's good although they could eat a little more but that's definitely a reasonable amount. I would just let them get a little bigger and they will be sturdier all around. Do you have pics of the cuties ?

Learning

Original Poster
I’m not in a rush to rehome them was just wondering if it was just the length to go by or the weight too.
B5F8A357-0F6E-4659-A766-037E7FC26C24.jpeg

Attachments

• 0A6AA006-8EBD-4535-874C-13B805295B09.jpeg
    0A6AA006-8EBD-4535-874C-13B805295B09.jpeg
    183.8 KB · Views: 122
  • E0987B14-8C41-476F-9255-40384CF80A14.jpeg
    E0987B14-8C41-476F-9255-40384CF80A14.jpeg
    148 KB · Views: 111

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Cute little guys as they always are. :) Six inches is generally the minimum, of course they should look plump, don't really need to be weighed as you can determine how robust they are easily by their activity level and visually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pooper
Top Bottom