Whats wrong with my beardies foot?

JustGeorge

Beardie name(s)
George
Hi, i noticed weird cracking on my beardies foot, does anyone knoe what it is? is it CONV?? Help is appreaciated!! Ill insert some pictures

Attachments

• IMG20230212202559.jpg
    IMG20230212202559.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_20230212_215046.jpg
    IMG_20230212_215046.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 69

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
I really have no idea. Do you use heat rocks, heat mats, anything like that in the enclosure? My gut reaction was it looks like a burn, but that is only a guess at best.

What type of substrait are you using?

JustGeorge

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
George
I really have no idea. Do you use heat rocks, heat mats, anything like that in the enclosure? My gut reaction was it looks like a burn, but that is only a guess at best.

What type of substrait are you using?
The heatsource im using is a MVB so no heatrocks or heatmat, i use a cococoir sand mix for substrate. I have recently switched bulbs in his heat lamp so maybe that has burned him? His hotspot is around 110 F.
Im going to switch to paper towels for substrate tomorrow.

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
I really don't know then. Outside the heat mats and a burn, I was thinking maybe substrait being too course of a material. I'll tag some others for you that might have a better idea.
@KarrieRee
@AHBD
@Drache613

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It kind of looks like it's sliced or bitten but doesn't look like CANV [ yellow fungus ] . Has she been around other dragons ? Has she roamed somewhere that might get cut ? Can you post pics of her entire enclosure, maybe something that could have sliced her foot ?

SkittlesK

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Kamo
The heatsource im using is a MVB so no heatrocks or heatmat, i use a cococoir sand mix for substrate. I have recently switched bulbs in his heat lamp so maybe that has burned him? His hotspot is around 110 F.
Im going to switch to paper towels for substrate tomorrow.
Hotspot is a little too hot.
Make sure you are taking accurate measurements and it's not a burn.

I'd go for 100 Degrees.
How big is the enclosure and how many watts is the Solar Glo.?

It kind of looks like it's sliced or bitten but doesn't look like CANV [ yellow fungus ] . Has she been around other dragons ? Has she roamed somewhere that might get cut ? Can you post pics of her entire enclosure, maybe something that could have sliced her foot ?
Maybe take him to the vet and have him do a thorough check-up.
It does look sliced or burned/bitten.

In the meantime, put some raw honey on it.
It doesn't look like yellow fungi.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, it looks like a wound or bite possibly, but not fungal or it doesn't appear to be. Raw,
unpasteurized honey or silver gel would help keep it from getting infected.
Are you able to get him to a vet?

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

JustGeorge

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
George
Thank you for all the replies and help!
Unfortunately theres no vets for reptiles where i live (barely any in my country at all unfortunetely), i have now replaced the substrate with paper towels and ordered chlorhexidine, medical honey and Lamisyl (to have stocked in just in case he starts showing symptoms of a fungal infection) as well as reptile safe desinfectent for the terrarium with over night shipping. For now i've just cleaned the wounds with chlorhexidine 0.5%.
I've used a temp gun to control the temprature on all surfaces in his terrarium and they all seem fine except for the background being around 150 higher up right behind the lamp so that might be the corporate since i have seen him trying to climb it a couple of times (not very succesfully). I will move the MVB bulb away from it tomorrow morning and check all the decor and hides for sharp edges before putting them back in, it cant be a bite wound as the only other pets i keep are tortoises and they never come in contact with him. I have also emailed some non exotic vets, hopefully one of them can run some basic tests.
Luckily he dosent seem affected at all by it, he has a great apptite and is still active without any restricted movement :)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Thank you for all the replies and help!
Unfortunately theres no vets for reptiles where i live (barely any in my country at all unfortunetely), i have now replaced the substrate with paper towels and ordered chlorhexidine, medical honey and Lamisyl (to have stocked in just in case he starts showing symptoms of a fungal infection) as well as reptile safe desinfectent for the terrarium with over night shipping. For now i've just cleaned the wounds with chlorhexidine 0.5%.
I've used a temp gun to control the temprature on all surfaces in his terrarium and they all seem fine except for the background being around 150 higher up right behind the lamp so that might be the corporate since i have seen him trying to climb it a couple of times (not very succesfully). I will move the MVB bulb away from it tomorrow morning and check all the decor and hides for sharp edges before putting them back in, it cant be a bite wound as the only other pets i keep are tortoises and they never come in contact with him. I have also emailed some non exotic vets, hopefully one of them can run some basic tests.
Luckily he dosent seem affected at all by it, he has a great apptite and is still active without any restricted movement :)
please get two digital probe thermometers for accurate basking temps

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your little dragon doing today?
The honey, chlorhexidine & lamisil should be fine. I'm glad to hear it doesn't seem to be causing
him pain right now, bless him. It should heal up just fine.
Is he still active & basking too?

Tracie

JustGeorge

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
George
Hello,

How is your little dragon doing today?
The honey, chlorhexidine & lamisil should be fine. I'm glad to hear it doesn't seem to be causing
him pain right now, bless him. It should heal up just fine.
Is he still active & basking too?

Tracie
Hi,
sorry for the late respons.
The first couple of days it seemed to be getting worse with the wound getting necrotic so i ended up bandaging his foot with honey over the night, the next day when i went to remove his bandage i saw that several layers of stuck shed had loosened so i carefully removed it and after that it has started to heal up nicely :) I´ve continued to clean with chlorhexidine once a day and applying honey twice daily.

He has been very active (as he usually is) the whole time, basking, eating and pooping normally the whole time.

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 61
  • Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 54
  • Picture 3.jpg
    Picture 3.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 51
  • Picture 4.jpg
    Picture 4.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 62
Beardie name(s)
Fire
Hi,
sorry for the late respons.
The first couple of days it seemed to be getting worse with the wound getting necrotic so i ended up bandaging his foot with honey over the night, the next day when i went to remove his bandage i saw that several layers of stuck shed had loosened so i carefully removed it and after that it has started to heal up nicely :) I´ve continued to clean with chlorhexidine once a day and applying honey twice daily.

He has been very active (as he usually is) the whole time, basking, eating and pooping normally the whole time.
I'm glad he's doing better!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow, that looks a lot better now, that's terrific. I'm sure it definitely feels better for him too.
I guess the honey really helped out, along with bandaging it up, too.
Let us know how things are going. It looks like he is on the road to recovery now.

Tracie

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go88app
Top Bottom