What's wrong with my beardie?

kaminari987

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Eri
I have a 1y female beardie named Eri, & she's a calm and lazy girl. Lately though she's been scratching on the glass of her tank, and usually this means she wants to look out the window outside, so I put her there and she was trying to go out the window. She kept bonking her head and scratching at it. I let her run around in the living room for 20 mins or so, then put her back in her tank, but she won't stop scratching at the glass. She's been digging into nothing in her hides as well. I've put her in some sand to see if she'll dig but she does nothing. I've felt her belly to see if she had eggs but there's nothing there. Can she go into heat, and needs a male? I don't really want her to get pregnant since I don't have the setup, time, or money to care for babies, so what should I do? I don't have any pics available right now.

Usually, I go away for 5-6 days every couple months to Michigan, so my parents care for her for that time. She doesn't really eat when I'm gone and seems really depressed, and when I come back she's more energetic and loves to play around.
I haven't been gone to Michigan or anywhere else for 3+ months and she just started this behavior about a month ago, so I'm really worried about her. She went to the vet around June last year and he said she was healthy. I have another vet visit scheduled for Spring next year

Last edited:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I have a 1y female beardie named Eri, & she's a calm and lazy girl. Lately though she's been scratching on the glass of her tank, and usually this means she wants to look out the window outside, so I put her there and she was trying to go out the window. She kept bonking her head and scratching at it. I let her run around in the living room for 20 mins or so, then put her back in her tank, but she won't stop scratching at the glass. She's been digging into nothing in her hides as well. I've put her in some sand to see if she'll dig but she does nothing. I've felt her belly to see if she had eggs but there's nothing there. Can she go into heat, and needs a male? I don't really want her to get pregnant since I don't have the setup, time, or money to care for babies, so what should I do? I don't have any pics available right now.

Usually, I go away for 5-6 days every couple months to Michigan, so my parents care for her for that time. She doesn't really eat when I'm gone and seems really depressed, and when I come back she's more energetic and loves to play around.
I haven't been gone to Michigan or anywhere else for 3+ months and she just started this behavior about a month ago, so I'm really worried about her. She went to the vet around June last year and he said she was healthy. I have another vet visit scheduled for Spring next year
She may be gravid-- even tho you cant feel the eggs she may have them I recommend you set up a lay box and see if she lays eggs - give her the option-
LAYBOX
potting soil that doesn't have any type of chemicals or fertilizers in it, mixed with sand, etc. Be sure it is at least 10-12 inches deep & that the mix is damp enough to where it will hold up to her making a burrow but not sopping wet to have standing water.
How old is your UVB? and are you using a coil or a long tube fixture

kaminari987

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Eri
She may be gravid-- even tho you cant feel the eggs she may have them I recommend you set up a lay box and see if she lays eggs - give her the option-
LAYBOX
potting soil that doesn't have any type of chemicals or fertilizers in it, mixed with sand, etc. Be sure it is at least 10-12 inches deep & that the mix is damp enough to where it will hold up to her making a burrow but not sopping wet to have standing water.
How old is your UVB? and are you using a coil or a long tube fixture
UVB is about 6 months old & a long tube fixture.
I've tried play sand for her and she never seems interested, she only digs into her hide and blankets. The sand is always a bit chilly though, how do you recommend warming it up for her?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I've tried play sand for her and she never seems interested, she only digs into her hide and blankets. The sand is always a bit chilly though, how do you recommend warming it up for her?
Put your basking light over it or place the dig box in the tank - make sure you use your digital probe thermometer so you can get a temp of it (the sand) - you dont want to get it too hot- the UVB needs certain placement and distance and your screen will determine where it needs to be - this can cause the behavior your getting as well -- what is the screen like on the tank ? fine mesh like a screen door or a wide hole type? also what is the bulb your using a T 5 ? brand please?

kaminari987

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Eri
Put your basking light over it or place the dig box in the tank - make sure you use your digital probe thermometer so you can get a temp of it (the sand) - you dont want to get it too hot- the UVB needs certain placement and distance and your screen will determine where it needs to be - this can cause the behavior your getting as well -- what is the screen like on the tank ? fine mesh like a screen door or a wide hole type? also what is the bulb your using a T 5 ? brand please?
The tank is 4x2x2 Zen Habits Tank, UVB is ZOO MED ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO 24-watt, Basking lamp is Zilla Day White Light

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
A agree with what Karrie said. It is possible that she has eggs to lay but beardies also just randomly go through these stages, especially when they're young. Having a laybox ready is a good idea for any female as they get to a year old.

Dart's Human

Beardie name(s)
Dartanion, (Dart)
That UVB is at or near the end of it's life.
Learned that the hard way way back when with my daughter's water dragon.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thanks for your help! I'll replace the UVB, but if she continues this after a week or two I'll take her to the vet, thanks again! <3
T 5's are good for up to one year --- I recommend replacing them at 10-11 months -- its the T 8's that need replacing after 6 months but I always recommend around 5 months

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom