What's the BEST salad recipe for a Juv Beardie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krug2227

I've had little Gandolf for about 6 weeks now and he will only eat Parsley and sometimes Kale. I want to be able to give him a really good salad though every morning; something with as much nutrients as possible, as well as diverse as possible (so it's not only 2 ingredients) as well as his crickets.

Anyone have any good suggestions/recipes for the perfect day-to-day salad for beardies?

Malon3r

Hatchling Member
From what I have read on here, kale is a bit iffy and I would limit that. Apparently it binds calcium which can cause health issues.

For salad wise, good greens are dandelion, mustard and collard greens.

This website has a very easy to read and informative chart on nutritional values and the best items to be fed to your beardie, I suggest you checking it out
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
It comes highly reccomended by people on this forum

rempop

I cycle through mustard and collard greens, as those are what I find most often, and then chop up some green beans, red bell peppers, squash, carrots, and zucchini.
So at any one time I have squash, a type of green, and one of those listed as occasional on the Beautiful Dragons list in the salad dish.
I found by prepping the greens and squash and a "topping" or 2 I can throw a salad together with plenty of variety and not as much work in the morning. Blaze seems to like it, he is 5 months old and is eating almost all of his salad everyday almost from the 1st. Yesterday I refilled it when I gave him his second feeding of worms and most of that was gone this morning when I went to give him his morning feeding. :blob5:

unkempt1

Juvie Member
Butternut or acorn squash are nice toppers for mustard and collard greens. My dragon LOVES acorn squash. I use a mandolin to slice it thin and freeze the leftovers. A well-peeled acorn squash can last you 2-3 weeks!

Krug2227

Original Poster
Alright everyone thank you for your input! Gandolf has started eating a mixture of Escarole, butternut squash, and dandelion greens. I can't seem to find mustard greens or collard greens anywhere :( and he's kind of slow to eating his greens (it takes a while for him to even check them out) but he's also shedding right now so that may be why.

Any suggestions on how to actually get him to want to eat greens and salad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom