What wood is safe for viv's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
I am going to be building a custom viv (again) and I know there are some kinds of wood that is toxic to beardies. Which ones are safe, and which ones are not? *HELP*

AllanonsWrath

Sub-Adult Member
I don't believe any form of cedar or pine is safe. I could be wrong but I think that is what I read. I was trying to find the link I read the stuff on about the woods.

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
AllanonsWrath":22in8d5j said:
I don't believe any form of cedar or pine is safe. I could be wrong but I think that is what I read. I was trying to find the link I read the stuff on about the woods.

If you find it.. Let me know!

BadCon

Sub-Adult Member
Pretty much any hardwood is safe. Softwoods are not safe to use. Cedar and pine should not be used.

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
BadCon":eutt5yld said:
Pretty much any hardwood is safe. Softwoods are not safe to use. Cedar and pine should not be used.

I have one made out of pine, and everyone seems to be ok??

Floof

Juvie Member
I would think Pine would be OK, as long as it is the lumber is very thoroughly sealed, and have heard recommendations as such (though in reference to tortoises, not beardies). I haven't tried it, though, so this is mainly just speculation...

As far as cedar is concerned, I wouldn't use it. Cedar is the really bad one...

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Floof":1s0k4qjq said:
I would think Pine would be OK, as long as it is the lumber is very thoroughly sealed, and have heard recommendations as such (though in reference to tortoises, not beardies). I haven't tried it, though, so this is mainly just speculation...

ok, so what is the safest wood? Does anyone know? Oak?

BadCon

Sub-Adult Member
Floof":yqvb1xzg said:

Pine can be used if its thoroughly sealed. Its the pine oil that is the problem, especially when heated. If its sealed, then its not a problem anymore. However cedar should never be used. I generally recommend against using pine when there are many alternatives that are safer and not terribly expensive.
Oak and Birch seem to be the two most common. My males enclosure is made out of Birch plywood, and it is a wonderful wood to work with.

Oak, Birch, and Poplar should be easy to find. You can also use any hardwood, or wood that comes from trees with broad leaves (deciduous). Softwoods are woods that come from evergreens, or trees with needles. They usually have potent odors and oils, and that's why they can't be used as these odors irritate mucous membranes (eyes and lungs).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom