What veggies do YOU feed your dragon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
WarDaddy":eb6fa said:
I read spinach was bad because beardies and too much vitamin A is bad.
I believe that it is not a good green to use because it blocks the calcium intake. :dontknow:
Not totally possitive. :wink:

Staple:
Endive
Mustard Greens
Turnip Greens

I also throw in Radicchio a few times a week as well as carrots and he gets bits of apples once a week as a treat.

Is this true? feeding spinach to your dragons is bad. My pair love it but if its not good for them i will have to find a substitute

Paradon

Sub-Adult Member
Yep, spinach shouldn't be used as a staple, but you can throw in spinach in with the mix for a variety once in awhile. Once in awhile it wouldn't hurt.

We're still in the discovery stage as Dex is approximately 3 months old. Dex's daily salad right now is a mix of Mustard Greens & Romaine (Got the romaine before I learned it was not a good staple) a few days a week I add a small bit of carrot, apple or finely chopped frozen mixed vegtables (they thaw as I'm chopping them). Since I only have one baby dragon, we don't go through our greens quickly, I have found the "Debbie Myers Green Bags" indespensable in keeping my greens fresh. As soon as our current supply wittles down I plan to purchase some Turnip Greens to add to the Mustard Greens. This evening I hand fed him some green pepper... he didn't like it. He took it in his mouth did two little chews then shook his head while spitting it out and it flew all over his tank! :roll: I don't use green peppers much, but I'll offer it to him again the next time I do... I'm sure they acquire tastes the same way children do. I also just bought some celery so I'll mix a bit of the leaves into tomorrows salad. Being a baby he doesn't eat much salad, but he does eat some, so I try to keep it interesting for him.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
clamentfamily":8180b said:
This evening I hand fed him some green pepper... he didn't like it. He took it in his mouth did two little chews then shook his head while spitting it out and it flew all over his tank! :roll: I don't use green peppers much, but I'll offer it to him again the next time I do... I'm sure they acquire tastes the same way children do.

That is very funny! :lol: :lol: :lol: That reminds me of a time I fed two different greens to Redrock, ones that she normally would tolerate, at the same time. She did the same type of thing. She didn't throw the veggies around, because she had already eaten them. She just shook her head as if to say: "That was such a strange taste!" They have unique ways of expressing themselves.

jscott

Gray-bearded Member
about preparing cactus fruit; i am paranoid about whatever goes into my dragons so i try to remove anything that might cause a problem.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i usually take the fruit and carefully rub it with a damp paper towell. the point of this is to remove any excess spines.

slice the fruit as if you were cutting a fresh loaf of bread, about 1/4 inch thick(i usually throw the two end pieces away).

to remove the seeds, use a sharp-tipped knife and carefully cut around the entire seed cluster as close as possible(theres alot of good stuff right near the seeds). throw the seeds away, these cactus pears are 35cents or less... i think in this instance its ok to be alittle picky.

once youve removed all the seeds you should be left with several cactus rings with outter skin attached. use the same sharp knife to slice as close to the skin as possible, idealy leaving only a ring of pure cactus "meat" :roll: .

dice the rings into small, managable chunks. they are slimey so your dragon cant grab them with his tounge.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i know this seems wastefull but these things are so cheap and there is no litter involved. i think it makes for a great presentation too. after preparing my dragons food, im tempted to take a bite :mrgreen: .
100_4595.jpg

100_4598.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom