What veggies do YOU feed your dragon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That list of staple greens that im supposed to feed my dragon...im a cook and ive never heard of any of that before. Is it fine to just feed him bell peppers and mangos and parsley all the time? Thats all i have found really that's both he and i can eat (exclude the mango).Inappropriate comment removed by moderator Is there somethings im not feeding him? And is it bad to feed him bell peppers?

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Are you referrring to the beautiful dragons link;
http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html

My beardies eat these everyday;

Mustard Greens(won't touch their salads if this is part of it)
Swiss Chard
Squash All Varieties( love the yellow squashes)

Other Veggies That I Mix In For Variety The Occassionals;

Stringless Peas
Bell Pepper (all colors)
Green Beans
Carrots
Cilantro
Kale
Cactus

I Also Offer A Fruit Once A Week;

Raspberries (their favorite)
Mango
All Varieties of Melons
Grapes
Blueberries
Apples
Plums
Peaches
Strawberries

Variety is the spice of life!

Catalyst

BD.org Addict
cellardoor27":e6dce said:
Is it fine to just feed him bell peppers and mangos and parsley all the time?

Nope, that doesn't work as a daily salad. His salad should be about 80% dark leafy greens (collard greens, dandelion greens, endive, escarole, mustard greens, turnip greens) and then the rest of it can be made up of veggies and a bit of fruit. You want to limit the fruit he gets because it's high in sugar and so is more of a treat or garnish to a salad than a main part of it. Parsley is another food you only want to give a little bit of, not really a main staple. That list posted above is quite helpful for how often it's good to offer each type of food to your dragon.

My girl's salads are usually at least 2 of collard greens, dandelion greens, endive, and kale because these are what I can find in good quality in the grocery stores around me, although I use kale maybe one week a month because it's an "occassional" food I beleive. To this I add sweet red peppers, squash and/or sugar peas (pod included) regularly. I occassionally add different fruits or vegetables for variety, what I've listed here are just the things I've been able to find easily in my area and which Randal likes.

MAJ

Hatchling Member
Our daily salad consists of:

Greens:
collard greens and dandelion leaves (staples), with kale thrown in once in a while. Parsley, cilantro, carrot and celery leaves are added once in a while as well.

Vegetables:
green peas, snow peas, green beans, sweet potato, butternut squash, zucchini, bell peppers (red yellow or green, all occasional), grated carrot, etc. I try and have a mixture of green and yellow/orange veggies each week.

Fruit:
cactus pear (staple), apple, strawberry, raspberry, mango (all other fruits are occasional).

I usually make a weekly mixture of whatever vegetables I feel like using, and ust use a teaspoon or so as a topping on the greens. I usually keep the fruit and vegetables separate until the last minute to keep the moisture out of the vegetables. All are very easy to find locally.

cellardoor27

Original Poster
do i have to go to a special type of grocery store to get these collerd greens and mustard greens? ive never seen them before

i thought the same thing..

but amazingly enough all 3 of my local chain stores have had all of them

my crisper has

kale (i thought i woudltn be able to find that)
mustard greens
turnip greens

then i got apples and grapes and carrots for me! and offered her a grape that i skinned and cut up.. hasnt touched it yet..

Catalyst

BD.org Addict
I get my greens from Zehrs, Canadian Superstore, and Remark Farms (produce store) usually. Sometimes Price Chopper also has some of the greens. Collard greens, dandelion greens, and endive are the ones that I can generally find without too much of a problem. Farmers markets can also be a good source of fresh greens depending on the time of year.

Paradon

Sub-Adult Member
These are what I feed my dragon: Grated parsnips, winter squash, green beans, sugar snap peas, snow peas, string beans, mustard green, collard green, dandelion green, escarole, and endive. Occasionally, I mixed in kale, turnip green, chards, brussel sprout, arugala, parsley, and cilantro.

MAJ

Hatchling Member
Catalyst":c12fc said:
I get my greens from Zehrs, Canadian Superstore, and Remark Farms (produce store) usually. Sometimes Price Chopper also has some of the greens. Collard greens, dandelion greens, and endive are the ones that I can generally find without too much of a problem. Farmers markets can also be a good source of fresh greens depending on the time of year.

Remark Farms is a fairly local place (Windsor and London only, I believe), but has great quality produce.
Not sure where in Canada that the OP is located, but Zehrs and Canadian Superstore are both part of the Loblaws group of stores. Collards, dandelions and kale are usually located with the other greens such as chard, etc. Collards, dandelions and kale are almost always in stock around here.

jbodkin

Hatchling Member
Is it ok to feed cactus pear? How do they eat them with all those little seeds/pits int them?

MAJ

Hatchling Member
jbodkin":619cd said:
Is it ok to feed cactus pear? How do they eat them with all those little seeds/pits int them?

I have always just chopped them up and mixed it with the rest of her salad toppings, seeds and all. It has never caused a problem. If I were to do it again, I would likely pick out the seeds for a smaller dragon.

Cactus pear is probably her all-time favourite fruit/veg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom