What type will I get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello!
So I am new to the whole breeding scene of bearded dragons. I plan on pairing the two babies that I have in about a year and a half or maybe 2. The male is a hypo trans leather back and the girl is a trans leather back. I have heard if you breed two leather backs they will produce silk back babies.

I was wondering if anyone knew if the entire clutch would be silk backs or if I would have some silks and some leather?... like I said... I am new to this and have never done this before but I would enjoy getting into it. Not for a couple of years once they are big enough but I want to gather ALL of my info now so I know what I am doing by then. I'd like to try and get good results my first time and not be completely clueless.

Teage29

I dont know much either but you should ask and look around on the breeding forums. It could help you a little more. Just make sure you are ready for a lot of baby bearded dragons they can get demanding! Lol. Others will chime in to help you more. :D

BEARDIESandCOFFEE

Hatchling Member
Hi there! So, you'll for sure get a little of both. depending on their gene line ( how pure leatherback the parents are) will give your more or less of one kind. BUT, the one thing i would like to advise you on, is the silkies... i don't know how experienced you are with beardies and or breeding, so i dont want to come off rude by any means. But if this is your first time breeding and or dealing with a clutch of babies, i'd would do tons of research before hand, and make sure your up for the task. Silkies need more attention when they're younger than regular or leatherbacks do. A lot of the time as infants, the can have problems shedding. they also (from what ive read) are a lot more prone to dehydration. so extra care is needed with these little ones. im sure its not CRAZY complicated, but just knowing that they are a little more work is something to keep in mind. :p I HIGHLY recommend reading LLLREPTILE's post on breeding ~ http://lllreptile.com/info/library/care-and-husbandry-articles/-/reproductive-biology-of-bearded-dragons/ these guys are great and know their stuff! Hope this helps! :study: :study: :study:

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Are they het trans or are they showing the trans gene?

Two trans' should not be bred together. It leads to some very serious and deadly mutations in the babies.

Two leatherbacks will give a mix of leathers and silks.

If the two you have are relatives, I wouldn't breed them.

-Brandon

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I merged your 2 threads about this same subject. Please don't start up more than one thread about the exact same thing as it gets to confusing to follow and we try very hard to keep the forum nice & neat, thanks.

callalily8912

Original Poster
Yes this is my first time breeding and handling a clutch of multiple babies. I am aware that silkies need to be paid close attention too lol thank you though for being kind about it. I have read their breeding info and I definitely intend on finding more info. As much as I can. I still have a couple years lol I just want to try and doas much correct as possible. I have had beardies all my life I just never thought to breed. I have the two babies and I have a 4 year old normal. I also help care for my sibling's beardie. But care and breeding are too totally different things lol.I have been reading breeding info, care sheets and watching so many youtube videos about incubation and what to do when eggs hatch and temps for humidity and for the incubator and how old they should be before selling and all kinds of stuff.

And no they're not related and I am not sure about the het trans what I said they are is all I know and their colors... The boy is white and he's supposed to have a purple tint and toward his shoulders and back legs he does and the girl is darker with bright orange, I like to say coral because its a weird shade of orange, and that's all I know.

Mistyck

Extreme Poster
Then you shouldn't breed them. They both sound like they're both Trans, which would produce some very deformed babies. You need to find a Het trans to breed with your trans. Do not breed 2 trans together. It doesn't matter the colors, if they're both trans then you will get deformed babies, period.

callalily8912

Original Poster
Yeah I keep reading that but the breeder I got them from is a VERY well known breeder, don't want to say names, and he said he does and its fine as long as their cared for things will go well. He sent e both to mate them... So idk.

Mistyck

Extreme Poster
I wouldn't trust said breeder then. You will get abnormalities when you breed Trans x Trans. Now either he's not telling you that he's had abnormalities, or he's a breeder that just doesn't care.

I can probably pick which breeder this is as well...

callalily8912

Original Poster
I suppose you're right... That kind of sucks but I definitely do not want poor little babies to suffer because I ignored the advise and things I've been reading. I have a question then... given that info... I have the 4 year old normal dragon would he be too old to mate with her once she's of good age and weight and everything?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Mistyck":d7tcps7h said:
I can probably pick which breeder this is as well...

I think we are both thinking of the same breeder. :roll:

OP, I know you don't want to name names, but does this breeders name rhyme with - hudbank? LOL.

Anyways, you shouldn't breed transXtrans together under any circumstances. There is just way too much risk. Trans is already a mutation, and breeding two trans (two mutations) together will cause a super mutation, just like Mistyck and I have been telling you.
I would stop relying on advice from whoever this "reputable" breeder is. Remember, don't confuse well known, with reputable.

-Brandon

callalily8912

Original Poster
No lol that's not them. and yeah I wont breed them... I'm scared to lol because everyone keeps saying the babies will be deformed or not even make it out of the egg. I don't want to hurt or be responsible for the deaths of babies. That isn't right ya know? I just wasn't sure if it was true or just what people were saying but now I know. That will just give me an excuse to get more beardies lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom