What live plants are safe to put in my beardies tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lesleyg1989

Hatchling Member
I'd like to put in some live plants in the vivarium so can anyone tell me ones which are safe for the beardies?
Thanks.

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
I wouldn't recommend a live plant because of humidity levels and your beardie may very well tear them up, but if you really want live plants, here is the safe list:

Plants proven safe for Bearded Dragons:
Alfalfa
Astilbe
Baby's Tears
Basil (leaves and flowers)
Chinese Lantern (flowers)
Carnations (petals)
Chamomile, English
Clover
Dahlia (flowerhead)
Dandelion (leaves, flowerhead)
Day Lilies (flowers)
Dracaena (cornplant)
Fennel
Ficus (leaves)
Geranium (flowers, leaves)
Grape (leaves, fruit), (not ornamental grape ivys)
Impatiens
Johnny-Jump-Up (flowers)
Hibiscus, Tropical & Blue (flowers, leaves)
Hollyhock (leaves, flowers)
Hens and Chicks
Lavender
Maple (leaves)
Mesquite (leaves)
Mint
Mulberry (leaves)
Nasturtium (flowers, leaves)
Oregano
Pansies (flowers)
Pea, Green Bean (leaves, pods)
Peppermint
Petunia
Phlox
Pinks (petals)
Rose (petals)
Rosemary (leaves, flowers)
Sage (leaves, flowers)
Spider Plant (leaves, sap may be a skin irritant)
Split-Leaf Philodendron (leaves)
Squash / Zucchini (flowers)
Thyme (leaves, flowers)
Violets (Not African Violets (flowers, leaves)
Wandering Jew (leaves, sap may be a skin irritant)
Yucca (flowers)

peera

Sub-Adult Member
Seconding Sara, unless you live in an area with really low humidity, I'd advise against it.

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
I know NOTHING about plants, I just copy and pasted that. They say you need to keep a plant alive for a year before you get a pet, but geez pets are SO much easier lol.

beardieaddict

Sub-Adult Member
also with live plants u will get little like nat thingys and they will lay eggs in the soil of the plant and trust me there is nothing you can do to prevent it just look around on the camillion forums and u will see because all those guys use some live and some fake and they have that problem but it dosent harm ur dragon or camillion but there just a pest and i know i hate it when flys get in my cage i would go nuts if there were a bunch of little ones flying around and laying eggs in my cage ...anyway good luck

peera

Sub-Adult Member
spurlee01":5974f said:
I know NOTHING about plants, I just copy and pasted that. They say you need to keep a plant alive for a year before you get a pet, but geez pets are SO much easier lol.

LOL, total derailment, but this reminds me of when my son was a week old. The WIC lady was coming by to make sure our feeding issues were straightening out, and my mother was running around the house picking up dead plants because she was afraid WIC would report us as negligent because we couldn't even keep plants alive! Dora's viv is in the living room & was sparkling clean. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom