What lamps should I get for a new enclosure?

fargoth_ur02

Beardie name(s)
JuJu
I am planning on building a 5' x 2' x 3' Bearded Dragon enclosure for my beardie.

I don't think my current lamps for the 4 x 2 x 2 enclosure will properly heat up this new one given its increased height. The current ones that I use are the Arcadia 12% UVB T5 Bulb and Exo Terra intense basking spot 150W. I am unsure if this would work well in a new enclosure of this size?

I don't know a whole lot about this lighting stuff so much help would be greatly appreciated. :)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I am planning on building a 5' x 2' x 3' Bearded Dragon enclosure for my beardie.

I don't think my current lamps for the 4 x 2 x 2 enclosure will properly heat up this new one given its increased height. The current ones that I use are the Arcadia 12% UVB T5 Bulb and Exo Terra intense basking spot 150W. I am unsure if this would work well in a new enclosure of this size?

I don't know a whole lot about this lighting stuff so much help would be greatly appreciated. :)
You can go to the 14% Arcadia - they are good for distance of 36"-- basking bulbs will be trial and error- try the 150 bulb see what your getting for a surface basking temp and go from there+ I recommend setting up another basking spot in the middle of the tank - have the surface basking temps in the 90's there-- what length is your uvb now? The 14% bulb will fit the fixture your using now

fargoth_ur02

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
JuJu
You can go to the 14% Arcadia - they are good for distance of 36"-- basking bulbs will be trial and error- try the 150 bulb see what your getting for a surface basking temp and go from there+ I recommend setting up another basking spot in the middle of the tank - have the surface basking temps in the 90's there-- what length is your uvb now? The 14% bulb will fit the fixture your using now
Thank you for responding! :) Like you said, I guess it will just be a long process of trial and error whilst I figure out what works for the enclosure once it's built.

I found the 14% Arcadia for the UVB light which I will be using, though I would like to know if you know any good basking bulbs that are above 150? I couldn't really find many lamps that were over 150. Just asking so I know where to look if the 150 bulb doesn't hold up. Ty

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
You can get 200 watt clear incandescent bulds at lowes for 3 bucks each. They are standard bulbs but for basking it's ok, the main objective is clear bright and hot.

fargoth_ur02

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
JuJu
You can get 200 watt clear incandescent bulds at lowes for 3 bucks each. They are standard bulbs but for basking it's ok, the main objective is clear bright and hot.
Thank you. I have been trying to figure out this heating thing for the past hour and a half now and I think I just about understand it (somewhat).

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Thank you. I have been trying to figure out this heating thing for the past hour and a half now and I think I just about understand it (somewhat).
Just make sure your using digital probe thermometers to get surface basking temps-- you don't want to cook your dragon

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom