What is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueFTWx

97566-4803161575.jpg
97566-7164877755.jpg
Hello I am a new beardie owner and I get scared by the slightest thing I see on mine. So I would like someone more knowledgeable than I am to tell me if this is mouth Rot.
97566-1605808740.jpg
I noticed it this morning it looks like a little cut but I am unsure.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, it just looks like remnants of a bug meal from this pic. :) Nothing looks like mouth rot.
Very nice looking little guy + nice set up, the branches + logs are always great for beardies because they love to climb + this gives them lots of areas to get closest to their lights.

BlueFTWx

Original Poster
AHBD":2kx1lv0q said:
Hi there, it just looks like remnants of a bug meal from this pic. :) Nothing looks like mouth rot.
Very nice looking little guy + nice set up, the branches + logs are always great for beardies because they love to climb + this gives them lots of areas to get closest to their lights.

So that little bump or whatever will go away.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
What exactly are you referring to? I'm sorry, I don't see anything at all wrong, so I'm not sure what it is that you're worried about...I initially thought you were talking about the little bit of discoloration towards the back of his lip on the side of his head, but I don't see a "bump".

BlueFTWx

Original Poster
EllenD":5u434atr said:
What exactly are you referring to? I'm sorry, I don't see anything at all wrong, so I'm not sure what it is that you're worried about...I initially thought you were talking about the little bit of discoloration towards the back of his lip on the side of his head, but I don't see a "bump".

Right on the tip of his mouth it's chipped a little bit.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Oh, I got ya...No, that's not at all "Mouth Rot"; Mouth Rot is an infection that can be on the outside of their mouth/lip but is typically also inside their mouths, and it's an infections that keeps aggressively spreading, killing all of the healthy tissue along it's way, and that is indicated by "necrotic" or dead tissue, which is very dark/black in color...So no worry about him in this respect.

Quite a lot of Dragons get that little area of built-up skin right on the end of their snout/tip of their mouths, it's almost like a little callous of built-up, dead skin. Sometimes it actually sheds off during their next shed, sometimes it just stays there. Typically it's caused by them rubbing their snout on something, like the glass of the tank, the floor of the tank, a rock or piece of decor, etc. A lot of Dragons that "Glass-Surf" quite a bit get this.

It may come off with his next regular shed of the area, it may not. I don't see any open wound in the area, or any dark or black tissue/skin around it, so that's good, but the best thing you can try to help it shed off and to keep it from getting infected is to buy a jar of Raw, Unpasteurized Honey (not regular honey, won't work), as it's a very strong, natural anti-microbial, and if you apply it once a day with a Q-Tip it will get rid of any infection/heal any open wound. Just don't leave any live insects inside his tank, they'll be attracted to the honey. The other thing you can try is getting some Raw, Unrefined Coconut Oil and applying it to the area at least once a day, kind of rub it in to the callous area. This works wonders in getting rid of Retained Shed, which is pretty much the same thing as what these callouses are. The Raw, Unrefined Coconut Oil applied once a day will re-hydrate the built-up, dead skin and then help it to peel off. I use the Coconut Oil on any patch of Retained Shed any of my guys gets and within a week it's gone.

BlueFTWx

Original Poster
EllenD":2netfrtd said:
Oh, I got ya...No, that's not at all "Mouth Rot"; Mouth Rot is an infection that can be on the outside of their mouth/lip but is typically also inside their mouths, and it's an infections that keeps aggressively spreading, killing all of the healthy tissue along it's way, and that is indicated by "necrotic" or dead tissue, which is very dark/black in color...So no worry about him in this respect.

Quite a lot of Dragons get that little area of built-up skin right on the end of their snout/tip of their mouths, it's almost like a little callous of built-up, dead skin. Sometimes it actually sheds off during their next shed, sometimes it just stays there. Typically it's caused by them rubbing their snout on something, like the glass of the tank, the floor of the tank, a rock or piece of decor, etc. A lot of Dragons that "Glass-Surf" quite a bit get this.

It may come off with his next regular shed of the area, it may not. I don't see any open wound in the area, or any dark or black tissue/skin around it, so that's good, but the best thing you can try to help it shed off and to keep it from getting infected is to buy a jar of Raw, Unpasteurized Honey (not regular honey, won't work), as it's a very strong, natural anti-microbial, and if you apply it once a day with a Q-Tip it will get rid of any infection/heal any open wound. Just don't leave any live insects inside his tank, they'll be attracted to the honey. The other thing you can try is getting some Raw, Unrefined Coconut Oil and applying it to the area at least once a day, kind of rub it in to the callous area. This works wonders in getting rid of Retained Shed, which is pretty much the same thing as what these callouses are. The Raw, Unrefined Coconut Oil applied once a day will re-hydrate the built-up, dead skin and then help it to peel off. I use the Coconut Oil on any patch of Retained Shed any of my guys gets and within a week it's gone.

Thanks alot! He did indeed rub his head I saw him do this before his most recent she'd I believe it is just dead skin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom