What is the matter with my beardies mouth

Npk333

My beardie is 13 years old and was recently treated for an RI. She was put on baytril then quit eating. The vet put her on reptaboost and she has started eating again. When I was feeding her the vet told me to put the syringe on the side of her mouth to get her to open her mouth. Could this have done it. It is the same side I put medicine in but seems higher. The inside of her mouth looks fine and so does her saliva. She is also on meds now for arthritis. Please help.

Attachments

• 20221018_181421.jpg
    20221018_181421.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 132

Npk333

Original Poster
Thanks. I've never seen this before. I would appreciate any help. She sees the vet again on Saturday but I am curious to know what this is

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Aw, poor old girl. At 13 yrs. old she's really getting up there ! If that's where you were putting the syringe, that's possibly what caused the wound. People + animals become much more fragile in their later years and bruise easily, take longer to heal, etc. That's just a guess but it seems to fit the scenario.
Try dabbing it with raw honey 2X a day, it has wonderful healing properties. Best wishes to your girl, please update at any time !

Last edited:

Npk333

Original Poster
Thanks for the response. I think thats what it may be too. Funny thing she was just acting like an elderly lizard before that vet put her on baytril
It did heal the infection almost immediately but had bad side effects to her. I guess I also just need to fully adjust that at this point she is an elderly beardie

Npk333

Original Poster
Aw, poor old girl. At 13 yrs. old she's really getting up there ! If that's where you were putting the syringe, that's possibly what caused the wound. People + animals become much more fragile in their later years and bruise easily, take longer to heal, etc. That's just a guess but it seems to fit the scenario.
Try dabbing it with raw honey 2X a day, it has wonderful healing properties. Best wishes to your girl, please update at any time !
Update. She is all better today. I sprinkled water on that area and also got a Q tip wet and dabbed the area. She didn't fuss so I am pretty sure whatever that was at least didn't hurt. She has had 3 baths this week and is off to see the vet tomorrow. Thanks everybody for all your help
I feel like such a bad mom when something happens to her. I have had her since she was 6 months old.

Npk333

Original Poster
Sounds like she healed quickly and is going to be fine hopefully. :)
God is great all the time !!!
Scrappy had her followup appt with the vet today and she was given a good bill of health after battling a respiratory infection followed by a loss of appetite for 3 weeks. Respiratory infection is gone, her face has completely healed and she managed to gain some weight.
Her tests came back good. I was told she has some arthritis due to her age, but her bone density is good. I just need to get adjusted that I now am living with Grandma Scrappy. She still lives up to the name Scrappy though. She got mad at the vet when she was checking her mouth and bearded at her and to top that off. to get back at me, she pooped on my sweater on the way home. 😆. She is now under her heating lamp and I am taking a much needed nap. Thanks for the prayers everybody.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Uh oh, she showed you both that she's still got fight in her. Scrappy indeed with the blackbeard and then dropped a bomb on you. Good to hear that she is doing well enough to be feisty !

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom