What is my beardie doing???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Babyb1414

Hello! My bearded dragon is almost a year old. He WAS eating a lot (I mean a lot) every day up until about a month ago. Now he barely eats, maybe one or two worms every week and no greens and he is not pooping. He does not want to be in his tank anymore. He only wants to be out of his tank and when he is out he finds a place to hide then goes to sleep. He would stay hidden in the same spot for months if I let him stay there. I am not sure if he is “brumating” ( I say this in quotations because I really know nothing about it other than what I’ve read online). This is our first bearded dragon we have owned so not sure what signs to look for. I am worried if I leave him out of his cage too long he will not have his UV light he needs. I let him be out of his cage for like a day then try to feed him and give him his UV light he needs. He is very well taken care of and we love him very much. My tank is set up according to someone I had previously talked to on here when I first got him. We live in Maine and it’s almost winter so not sure if the effects him. I probably did overfeed him for a while and he was pretty fat but still looks the same weight wise which is funny because he is not eating now and I would think he would be losing weight. His tail is also very thick. I heard somewhere they store fat in their tail for hibernation. Any knowledge/ suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance !
His uv light is attached in the pics.

Attachments

• 8000BFAD-E130-4184-80AD-2C2C6D69CDF1.jpeg
    8000BFAD-E130-4184-80AD-2C2C6D69CDF1.jpeg
    523.4 KB · Views: 165
  • 7172587E-C93E-45AA-BC18-05809B8D71DA.jpeg
    7172587E-C93E-45AA-BC18-05809B8D71DA.jpeg
    270.8 KB · Views: 135
  • 54668401-18A4-4976-B171-8FD135B1E60C.jpeg
    54668401-18A4-4976-B171-8FD135B1E60C.jpeg
    171.9 KB · Views: 131
  • 9603B208-F04B-46C1-97E7-961CCD49B688.jpeg
    9603B208-F04B-46C1-97E7-961CCD49B688.jpeg
    185.2 KB · Views: 129
  • B8A8DD23-E64F-4648-90E0-63568E5C0FAD.jpg
    B8A8DD23-E64F-4648-90E0-63568E5C0FAD.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 134

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello! My bearded dragon is almost a year old. He WAS eating a lot (I mean a lot) every day up until about a month ago. Now he barely eats, maybe one or two worms every week and no greens and he is not pooping. He does not want to be in his tank anymore. He only wants to be out of his tank and when he is out he finds a place to hide then goes to sleep. He would stay hidden in the same spot for months if I let him stay there. I am not sure if he is “brumating” ( I say this in quotations because I really know nothing about it other than what I’ve read online). This is our first bearded dragon we have owned so not sure what signs to look for. I am worried if I leave him out of his cage too long he will not have his UV light he needs. I let him be out of his cage for like a day then try to feed him and give him his UV light he needs. He is very well taken care of and we love him very much. My tank is set up according to someone I had previously talked to on here when I first got him. We live in Maine and it’s almost winter so not sure if the effects him. I probably did overfeed him for a while and he was pretty fat but still looks the same weight wise which is funny because he is not eating now and I would think he would be losing weight. His tail is also very thick. I heard somewhere they store fat in their tail for hibernation. Any knowledge/ suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance !
His uv light is attached in the pics.
So the Mega Ray your using is how old? And where in the tank is it? What is the distance from the MVB to the basking decor piece - is there a screen in between? How are you taking the temps? they need to be surface temps taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- He looks real good - yes they do slow down in the winter and eating can be off -- I would get a weight on him and keep track of it weigh him on a kitchen scale weigh in grams -- what are you feeding for insects? hes not gonna be pooping as often if hes not eating anything -- how much is he sleeping? Alot or normal? The finding a place to sleep outside the tank is very normal - dragons will not eat if they are not warm-- so feeding after hes been out all day is not good and I would not go w/ out 2 hrs of him being out of the tank unless he has a spot he can go to where he can bask and warm up -- I have not heard of dragons storing fat in the tails that is a new one to me- do you have a hide for him in his tank ?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Your beardie looks plump + healthy and Karrie , they mean that a thicker tail shows good weight [ like for brumation ] rather than a thin tail which could mean the dragon may be underweight. But yes, that behavior is perfectly normal, my 2 boys that will be 10 years old next year are both sleeping and will be for at least another month or two. Every dragon I've owned [ for the past 20 + years ] has brumated. Just let him do his thing. BTW, what's your dragon's name and are you sure it's a male ? The body structure looks kind of like female. Here's how to tell if you're not positive. Arch the tail like in the pics [ sscroll down in the article ]

Bobbin and Sara

Photo Comp Winner
My darling Bobbin came from the breeder and we had a very long chat when Bobbin came to live with me. His passing comment was, weight your Beardie every week and if he is not loosing weight don't worry. this seems to me very good advise!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
My darling Bobbin came from the breeder and we had a very long chat when Bobbin came to live with me. His passing comment was, weight your Beardie every week and if he is not loosing weight don't worry. this seems to me very good advise!
I would weigh him when you get him out to offer water -- every 10 days or so

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go88app
Top Bottom