What is he doing.?

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
I notice he started sort of doing this yesterday, but only once or twice. Today, he's done it several times in a short time span. He'll take a couple deep breaths, like he's trying to puff out his body then... open his mouth.? I don't think he's coughing because there's no noise and no other symptoms. Is he just stressed and going into defense mode.? We got him on sunday and is still adjusting to the lights, the sounds and the kids.

It won't let me post the 5 second video so here is the link to view it on Google photos. New video by Amber

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
he's shedding, right? they will puff up to help loosen the shed. doesn't look particularly concerning to me, but let's see how some others chime in.

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
he's shedding, right? they will puff up to help loosen the shed. doesn't look particularly concerning to me, but let's see how some others chime in.
His tail shed. His back does look that grey-ish color like he's going to but I don't think it's started yet. He did it whenever I leaned closer to his tank. He's still pretty stressed, he has those dark marks on his belly most of the day

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
He could be stretching or he could be being defensive. They all have weird little quirks, especially when the are young and just brought home.

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
He could be stretching or he could be being defensive. They all have weird little quirks, especially when the are young and just brought home.
As long as he isn't coughing or anything. I didn't hear any noise with the gesture but he's done it even when no one is paying attention to him. I just don't want him to be sick or anything

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
As long as he isn't coughing or anything. I didn't hear any noise with the gesture but he's done it even when no one is paying attention to him. I just don't want him to be sick or anything
It looks like hes gaping -- adjusting his body temp - they usually sit w/ their mouths open so as long as you hear no gasping popping wheezing hes good -- no mucous either -- basking temps and UVB need to be on par ---

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
It looks like hes gaping -- adjusting his body temp - they usually sit w/ their mouths open so as long as you hear no gasping popping wheezing hes good -- no mucous either -- basking temps and UVB need to be on par ---
I thought that for a moment. I also thought he may of been doing it as a defense thing but his beard didn't puff up, he tried to puff up his body. Like he took a few real deep breaths. I don't hear any noises, though. So I'm hoping it's just him yawning or being weird.

I swear I heard a cricket like chirp come from him last night. And night before he made a little squeak before pooping on my bed.😩😅

I believe we are going to get a different light, right now we use a power sun 160 watt uv light and a powersun 80 watt uv light. Amd the temp in the basking spot is anywhere between 90 and 100, middle at about 85, cool at about 80. We have them sitting on the screen hood. We're gonna get another one of those, too. It doesn't have a door on it, we have to remove the whole lid and it's a pain and I'm sure he doesn't like the noise it makes.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I thought that for a moment. I also thought he may of been doing it as a defense thing but his beard didn't puff up, he tried to puff up his body. Like he took a few real deep breaths. I don't hear any noises, though. So I'm hoping it's just him yawning or being weird.

I swear I heard a cricket like chirp come from him last night. And night before he made a little squeak before pooping on my bed.😩😅

I believe we are going to get a different light, right now we use a power sun 160 watt uv light and a powersun 80 watt uv light. Amd the temp in the basking spot is anywhere between 90 and 100, middle at about 85, cool at about 80. We have them sitting on the screen hood. We're gonna get another one of those, too. It doesn't have a door on it, we have to remove the whole lid and it's a pain and I'm sure he doesn't like the noise it makes.
You don't need to mvb's- what size is the tank? Another long tube fixture is recommended - a 24" fixture-- zoo med or a Arcadia pro T 5

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
You don't need to mvb's- what size is the tank? Another long tube fixture is recommended - a 24" fixture-- zoo med or a Arcadia pro T 5
It's a 40 gallon. We noticed with just one light, it wouldn't be hot enough for him in the basking spot. With both lights, it keeps it closer to 100 and for some reason, with just one light, there was only one concentrated spot of light, the two gives a wider area for him to sit, he likes to go from his driftwood in one corner to his basking rock down in the other corner. And that's the light we're considering, I couldn't remember the name.

Also, the lights are the color they're supposed to be, they look off because of some weird color corrector on my camera.

Attachments

• 16619843347002192482341962786313.jpg
    16619843347002192482341962786313.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 59

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It's a 40 gallon. We noticed with just one light, it wouldn't be hot enough for him in the basking spot. With both lights, it keeps it closer to 100 and for some reason, with just one light, there was only one concentrated spot of light, the two gives a wider area for him to sit, he likes to go from his driftwood in one corner to his basking rock down in the other corner. And that's the light we're considering, I couldn't remember the name.

Also, the lights are the color they're supposed to be, they look off because of some weird color corrector on my camera.
Please get 2 digital probe thermometers for accurate surface basking temps-- I see stick ons - w/ the mvb's he's not getting the uvb he needs especially w/ them sitting in the screen- this is critical - he's growing and needs those uvb rays- 40 gallon tank a 160 is plenty- I would like @CooperDragon to help you w/ this - the mvb will need to be changed out in 5 months-

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Please get 2 digital probe thermometers for accurate surface basking temps-- I see stick ons - w/ the mvb's he's not getting the uvb he needs especially w/ them sitting in the screen- this is critical - he's growing and needs those uvb rays- 40 gallon tank a 160 is plenty- I would like @CooperDragon to help you w/ this - the mvb will need to be changed out in 5 months-
We also use a digital thermometer to check the inside around his basking area and it always shows about 95 to 100. We're looking into the other lights, just a wee strapped for cash for another couple days.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
We also use a digital thermometer to check the inside around his basking area and it always shows about 95 to 100. We're looking into the other lights, just a wee strapped for cash for another couple days.
Ok it may be wise to switch to a solid clear bright white basking bulb - flukers is a good brand - you can get them on line from chewy for around $5-6 - you can use the mvb for now but after 5 months it should be changed out for uvb if you get the long tube fixture you won't need to - it can be used for a basking lamp--to me the mvb's are a glorified basking bulb-

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It looks like he's just doing a burp in the photo. That's fairly common, especially after meal and can also happen around shedding. I wouldn't worry about it much unless there are other symptoms like weight loss, lack of appetite, mucous buildup around the nose/mouth/eyes etc.

As far as the lighting goes, I think your MVBs are probably OK for now. Since they are side by side, they are creating a wider basking area as you indicated. That's generally a good thing. The main downside is that you can't control heat and UVB output independently. It looks like they're close enough to be effective, but he has room to move away if they get too intense. Your temps are good too, so I'd leave it be if it seems to be working for now. You might want to save up for a good T5 bulb/fixture down the road which could make things easier to control, but I probably wouldn't rush it if all else is well. As mentioned, they tend to lose output over time so maybe revisit in 8-12 months around replacement time.

fcooper

Hatchling Member
I've read somewhere that when shedding or getting ready to shed their beard, they can sometimes forcefully exhale to loosen skin. I think that if it's only a few times once a day, and there's no fatigue or snot-like stuff coming out of their nose, it's fine. If it continues and more symptoms develop, time for the vet.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom