What is brumation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I've been informed that my dragon might be going into brumation and I have no idea what that is (I didn't get the time to read up on this before getting him). Could someone explain it simply to me please and why it happens, thanks!

Beardienatic

Hatchling Member
Hi! Ok so, its actually quite simple. Brumation is a semi-hibernation that bearded dragons go through with temperature changes, or simply what time of year it is. If you have a hide available, they will often just go hide in it, some of them are semi-awake and will come out to eat every now and then, but not all of them do. So it is best to provide some food in case your beardie wants to eat, but they usually survive off their "fat-pads" at the base of their tail and on their head. From what I've read, it seems preferable to dim your lights, or turn them off and turn them on once you see your beardie moving and waking up again. Hope this helps! :)

ToothlessBeardie

Original Poster
Beardienatic":duux5qss said:
Hi! Ok so, its actually quite simple. Brumation is a semi-hibernation that bearded dragons go through with temperature changes, or simply what time of year it is. If you have a hide available, they will often just go hide in it, some of them are semi-awake and will come out to eat every now and then, but not all of them do. So it is best to provide some food in case your beardie wants to eat, but they usually survive off their "fat-pads" at the base of their tail and on their head. From what I've read, it seems preferable to dim your lights, or turn them off and turn them on once you see your beardie moving and waking up again. Hope this helps! :)
Thank you so much! This will help alot for the future!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom