What has happened to my bearded dragon tail

4B66A50B-A7E9-45C6-8871-EDAE7ADEE4D9.jpeg
0CE459C7-E0EB-4D66-B402-659E2CEC21A1.jpeg

Can somebody please help has my bearded dragon bit its friends tail I have 2 in the same tank as advised that this was fine they are from the same set of hatchlings same age ! But I haven’t seen them fight but noticed this on my dragons tail today ?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
View attachment 71212 View attachment 71213
Can somebody please help has my bearded dragon bit its friends tail I have 2 in the same tank as advised that this was fine they are from the same set of hatchlings same age ! But I haven’t seen them fight but noticed this on my dragons tail today ?
No please get him out--- that looks awful -- please get some raw unpasteurized honey on it ASAP --- no crickets in the tank please they will go straight for the tail --- dragons should be separated as soon as they can after being purchased -- this is what happens when they are left together -- get him in another tank of his own even a 20 gallon plastic tote for now --- he needs his own UVB a long tube fixture NO coils and a good basking bulb Flukers Exo Terra Zoo Med repti basking bulb --- and a digital probe thermometer to get accurate surface basking temps
@AHBD

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I'm sorry this happened, definitely separate the dragons. Sad that the store sold you 2. That part will fall off, just keep it clean and apply raw honey like Karrie mentioned. If it starts to look infected after it falls off you will def. need a vet. If you can take it to one now, do that.

paigedevlin

Original Poster
S
No please get him out--- that looks awful -- please get some raw unpasteurized honey on it ASAP --- no crickets in the tank please they will go straight for the tail --- dragons should be separated as soon as they can after being purchased -- this is what happens when they are left together -- get him in another tank of his own even a 20 gallon plastic tote for now --- he needs his own UVB a long tube fixture NO coils and a good basking bulb Flukers Exo Terra Zoo Med repti basking bulb --- and a digital probe thermometer to get accurate surface basking temps
@AHBD
Separated them just then we went out and bought new tank and lights we was advised by pet store that it’s safe for 2 dragons to be in same tank I feel awful that this has happened I have put antiseptic liquid on tail specially for reptiles thank you for your reply x

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
S

Separated them just then we went out and bought new tank and lights we was advised by pet store that it’s safe for 2 dragons to be in same tank I feel awful that this has happened I have put antiseptic liquid on tail specially for reptiles thank you for your reply x
What are you using for a UVB ? Please no coils they are inadequate and if its a 13 watt they are the worst --- if you have a long tube fixture what brand and bulb please ? the pet store people are giving you bad advice please do not listen to them -- if you need more help please come here and ask ---

Last edited:

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Omg that is tragic. Im guessing petco or petsmart. They are the worst. I wish the feds would pass legislation to make pet stores train their employees or nit be allowed to sell pets. I have only been a member here for a short time but i haved referred to this site for a very long time. This is a great community. Please come here to learn the proper care and for any advice you need. You won't find a better place.
Please Keep us posted as your dragon heals. We all aways root for them.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow poor little one, that is absolutely a tail injury from the tank mate. What antiseptic solution are
you using on his tail? Be sure that it doesn't have hydrogen peroxide in it, because that will damage
their scales. You can use betadine diluted on it, to help keep it clean. Do you have any antiibotic
ointment or raw honey to put on the end?

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whokiry weth
Top Bottom