What genetics will the babies carry?

Darrenhatch82

Original Poster
I am breading a hypo zero with a hypo translucent witblits, 66% possible het zero. Can somebody help me figure out what the babies will be?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You will get a clutch of hypos.
The whole clutch will be 100% het trans, 100% het Wits, and 100% het zero.

If your 66% het zero proves out, you will get:
50% Hypo Zeros that are 100% het for trans and wits
50% Hypo's that are 100% het for zero, trans, and wits

So, if you get no zero offspring from your pairing, your adult is not het zero. If you do, you proved him/her out, and can safely say he/she is het zero.

-Brandon

Kendo40

Hi Brandon
You will get a clutch of hypos.
The whole clutch will be 100% het trans, 100% het Wits, and 100% het zero.

If your 66% het zero proves out, you will get:
50% Hypo Zeros that are 100% het for trans and wits
50% Hypo's that are 100% het for zero, trans, and wits

So, if you get no zero offspring from your pairing, your adult is not het zero. If you do, you proved him/her out, and can safely say he/she is het zero.

-Brandon
Hi Brandon,
Sorry about hijacking this thread I don't know how to start my own just yet.

Same question as Darren only I bred a Hypo het zero/ witblits with a citrus with some Blue bars.
what will the babies be?

Kind regards

Kendo

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
This is a link to a very informative site on genetics and how to calculate outcomes. Its in multiple part but its easy enough to just click through and read.
I realize its about snakes but it applies to animal.

Kendo40

Hi Xp,

Thanks for the link, unfortunately my brain doesn't understand any of that. :ROFLMAO:

I read online that you need to have 2 parents each with the hypo gene to be able to produce hypo babies.

I've just bred my 2 dragons not long ago and most of the babies are hypos.

I don't really know what my female is as the lady in the pet shop where I bought her wasn't very clued up.

She looks to be (from what I've researched) a Citrus, she has some blue bars on her sides. But she's not a hypo from what I can tell.

My male is a hypo het zero / witblits.

I just need a bit of help in how to list them in my advert as I need to know what to write.

Cheers

Kendo

Attachments

• 20220811_191620.jpg
    20220811_191620.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 105
  • 20220811_191707.jpg
    20220811_191707.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 111
  • 20220811_191537.jpg
    20220811_191537.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 105
  • 20220811_190924.jpg
    20220811_190924.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 103
  • 20220811_185754.jpg
    20220811_185754.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 106

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Very pretty babies!!!
I struggle with those gentic boxes also.
Beings you produced hypo"s bith dragons for sure carry that gene, so you have Proven out your female as het hypo (as she isn't a visible like your male). But on the other side you haven't proven out you male as het zero/wits. As far as anything else im lost also.
I will tag Claudiusx he bred extensively i think. He can probably help you.
@Claudiusx

Kendo40

Thank you Xp,

I have loads more babies, some are Brown and Orange, there are a couple that are a kind of fluorescent Green and Yellow, they're beautiful. Some of them are a multitude of all different colours.
It seems odd as the Dad is like White with Orange eyes and Orange colouring around his eyes and the Mother is mainly Yellow with a few parts being Orange and Blue.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Somewhere towards the end of that article it talks about how you end up with surprise traits it was interesting but over my head lol. As far as I'm concerned the ugliest baby beardie ever born was still a cutie lol, so if they are better than that they are gorgeous :cool: I love them all.

Kendo40

I hope I didn't sound ignorant earlier, I did have a read of it but had to stop half way down the page as it totally confuzzled my brain lol. Me too they're sooooo cute, they're even cuter when they're babies.
There is an absolutely tiny one from a clutch that hatched a few days earlier than the others hatched.
I named him/her Tiny. I shouldn't really be giving them names as I'm starting to become quite attached to them.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Na you didn't sound ignorant that stuff gives me a headache to, i WANT to understand it but so far it eludes me lol.
My girlfriend would name and try to keep every single one if i were to breed them, thats the second reason i don't. The first is i can't stand the thought of sending a baby into a bad home. It would keep me up at night.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi Xp,

Thanks for the link, unfortunately my brain doesn't understand any of that. :ROFLMAO:

I read online that you need to have 2 parents each with the hypo gene to be able to produce hypo babies.

I've just bred my 2 dragons not long ago and most of the babies are hypos.

I don't really know what my female is as the lady in the pet shop where I bought her wasn't very clued up.

She looks to be (from what I've researched) a Citrus, she has some blue bars on her sides. But she's not a hypo from what I can tell.

My male is a hypo het zero / witblits.

I just need a bit of help in how to list them in my advert as I need to know what to write.

Cheers

Kendo
Hi Kendo,

If your pairing produced visible hypos (which based on the pictures it looks like it did) then your female is proven out to be het hypo (Assuming she isn't showing hypo, in which case she'd just be hypo.

If you did not get any zero's or wit's from the pairing, then you know your female is neither het for wit or zero. It's possible your female is Het Trans, but you'd have to do some special breeding to be able to prove that out, which is unrealistic to do in a breeding program at this point with your current genetics.

So in reality, you would only be classifying your female as het hypo. That is her only genetic mutation. Citrus/tiger/red/yellow/brown/etc. are traits, not genetic mutations.

So from your current pairing, you will get the same group of offspring every time.

• 50% of the clutch will be hypo with a 50% chance of being het for zero and a 50% of being het for wits. Those hets would have to be proven out, but that's how you'd list their genetics.
  • The other half of the clutch would be 100% het for hypo, with a 50% chance of being het for zero and 50% for being het wits

So all the visible hypos are hypo 50% het wits/zero
Non visible hypos would be 100% het hypo 50% het wits/zero.

Now depending on the traits (colors/patterns) of the parents, each of these two groups can be vastly different from each other in colorings and markings, but that is not typically something you market.

Hope that makes sense.

-Brandon

Kendo40

Hi Brandon,

That totally makes sense,

It was my male that is meant to be hypo het zero / wits, he's definitely hypo, hyper and a bit fkn mental.

Xp29 helped me with saying my female is a proven hypo.
I will post a picture of her soon and could you tell me if she is a Citrus /Yellow tiger shark :ROFLMAO:

Kendo40

Hi Kendo,

If your pairing produced visible hypos (which based on the pictures it looks like it did) then your female is proven out to be het hypo (Assuming she isn't showing hypo, in which case she'd just be hypo.

If you did not get any zero's or wit's from the pairing, then you know your female is neither het for wit or zero. It's possible your female is Het Trans, but you'd have to do some special breeding to be able to prove that out, which is unrealistic to do in a breeding program at this point with your current genetics.

So in reality, you would only be classifying your female as het hypo. That is her only genetic mutation. Citrus/tiger/red/yellow/brown/etc. are traits, not genetic mutations.

So from your current pairing, you will get the same group of offspring every time.

• 50% of the clutch will be hypo with a 50% chance of being het for zero and a 50% of being het for wits. Those hets would have to be proven out, but that's how you'd list their genetics.
  • The other half of the clutch would be 100% het for hypo, with a 50% chance of being het for zero and 50% for being het wits

So all the visible hypos are hypo 50% het wits/zero

Now depending on the traits (colors/patterns) of the parents, each of these two groups can be vastly different from each other in colorings and markings, but that is not typically something you market.

Hope that makes sense.

-Brandon
Hi Brandon,

Would I still write this on my advert:
all the visible hypos are hypo 50% het wits/zero

Would the normals, the ones that aren't hypo be 100% het hypo 50% het wits/zero?

I just want to be able to write their proper names on an advert.

I'm sorry I'm hard work lol

Cheers kendo

Kendo40

Sire: Little Red - Hypo het zero/witblit
Dam: Babbas- Het hypo Citrus Tiger

Babies:

Citrus hypo Blue bars 50% het zero/witblits

Citrus hypo 50% het zero/witblits

Normals 100% het hypo 50% het zero/witblits

Does this look about right?

Cheers

kendo

Attachments

• 20220310_151527.jpg
    20220310_151527.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 93
  • 20220509_113435.jpg
    20220509_113435.jpg
    296.4 KB · Views: 91
  • 20220614_004145.jpg
    20220614_004145.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 94
  • 20220620_173846.jpg
    20220620_173846.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 87

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom