What does Hypo mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

h0ndap0w3r

Sub-Adult Member
basically what the title says. . . im curious as to what this means. .

also what does het and whatever else anyone can think of related to classifying BD

jscott

Gray-bearded Member
the latin prefix hypo has to do with "under", "below" or "less than usual".

i think with beardies, the "less than usual" part is the pigmentation. im pretty sure hypo beardies have clear fingernails and are usually light colored. they are not albinos, just lacking pigment.

not sure about the het.

h0ndap0w3r

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
ooOoooo gotcha. . . that makes sense now. . i should have remembered my prefixes. but yeah anyone else got any insight on the whole breeder talk deal.

thanks,
kyle

Not 100% sure as I'm not a breeder but I'll take a stab at it.

I always figured it was a term I learned in Genetics. Het, heterozygous or having both genes for a trait, i.e. the allele for brown eyes (B) and blue eyes (b) with would look something like this (Bb) on a chart. Where monozygous is the opposite, only having the gene for one trait (BB).

It's kind of a simplistic explanation.....or I could be completely wrong. :lol:

Stephies_Leo _Dragon

Juvie Member
Het means that they carry the gene for a certain trait but it is recessive, therefore they don't show the actual trait. Like if a dragon is normal phase het for hypo, that means it carries the hypo gene but doesn't show the characteristerics of the gene because it is recessive. I hope that helps !

h0ndap0w3r

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Nice. . .thanks guys, i prob should have just asked some of my bio friends haha, or maybe i should have paid attention in bio class. . thanks guys

raleej337

I found this while browsing the net, this is part of what I've read:

Leucisism, Hypomelanism, Pastel, and Translucism are all real mutations.
Leucistic, Snow, and Pastel are all Hypomelanistic traits, meaning they lack the dark or black pigment. Translucent dragons lack white pigment and have solid black eyes. As babies, you can see right through their belly!

Leucistic: White, No Pattern, Clear Nails.
Hypo: Lacks dark pigment, Clear Nails.
Pastel: Looks Hypo, but with Black Nails
Snow: Looks Leucistic, but with Black Nails

FYI: Hypos are Pastels, but Pastels are NOT Hypo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnstorm07
Top Bottom