What do I do if I accidentally pulled the skin off of my BD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draco98

Well it wasn't really me who did it, it was my little brother. My little brother had pulled the skin off while I wasn't home. It wasn't till the next day that he actually told me that he did that and it started bleeding. I scolded him and told him never to touch my bearded dragon again. I bathed him in a warm bath and put him back in the tank. His tail still looks burned on the end and I am worried! Today when I got home and started to pet him I noticed that skin around the tail started to peel and bleed with me not doing anything! I bathed him again and put him back in the tank. I really scared what do I do??? How can I treat the wound? Will it heal? By the way my dragon is still a baby about 2-3 months. Please answer soon and ask questions if you have any!!!!
Age 2-3 months
- Size 7inches
- Size of the enclosure 3ft by 3ft by 3tf
- Temperatures Basking spot 85 degrees, cool spot 70 degrees
- Type of substrate sand for bearded dragons, Zilla i belive.
- Diet Small crickets, escarole, carrots, cilantro, apple, scallions, cucumber.
Also it looks burned but as I am aware it was not burned by anything hot. ( The tail is stiff but once it's wet it moves regularly. The tail feels smooth almost like if there was no skin there) My brother said that it was shedding and that he feels extremely sorry, also kinda short on cash :/

AllanonsWrath

Sub-Adult Member
I am not sure why the skin would look burned or be bleeding, but there are a few things that I would correct about the enclosure if you can.

The basking spot is not warm enough for a juvenile bearded. It should be 100 - 110 for a juvenile.
I would honestly get him off the sand, especially if he has an open wound. Sand is not recommended due to it being an impaction hazard. Not to mention the dust that sand can create can cause respiratory infections. Also, it may irritate the wound. Sand is not the most sanitary substrate either. I would take it out and put him on paper towels for now.
Are you dusting the crickets with any kind of Calcium or Multi-Vitamin?
As far as diet is concerned, Check out this table: Nutrition
Are you using any UVB lighting?

Draco98

Original Poster
I checked the basking spot and its 107 degrees, had to shake the temperature probe. Are I dusting the crickets? Yes with Reptical Calcium with vit. D3. Are I using any UVB lighting? Yes I am 24inch 10.0ubv The wound has closed up and about the sand. I find it easy to clean poop and the sand is play sand which has been sifted and its not really dusty in the tank. Also my dragon spends most of his time on his stick which is really close to the basking bulb :). P.S Thanks where I check what my dragon can eat all the time (Beautiful dragons, it was recommended by a friend) I'll try to get some pictures up. Starting to look better :?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Since your dragon has an open wound, it would be best at the moment, to remove the sand since excess dust & dirt can cause an infection.
For now, use either paper towels or non adhesive shelf liner until his tail is all healed up.
I did PM you regarding treatment. Use some antibiotic ointment twice daily, for his tail to help expedite the healing process.
How is his appetite?

Tracie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Let us know how he is doing & definitely post pictures when you get a chance.
Thanks.

Tracie

kjinxx2

Sub-Adult Member
The end of the tail looks necrotic to me, that bit may fall off within the next few days. Is the wound getting larger? If it does end up falling off, treat it with some neosporin until it heals up

Draco98

Original Poster
Alright well the small piece did end up falling off and my beardie has a small tall nip:) I'm just glad he's ok. Post some pictures later. P.S I put antibiotics on the end of his tail.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The end of the tail did fall off then already?
Great, continue to put the antibiotic ointment on the end of his tail. I am glad to hear you took the sand out right now while his tail is healing up.
The carpet is fine for him right now. Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom