What are bearded dragon shoulder pads used for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWerewolf

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Beardeds do not puff them up when they black beard. Nim's are like little flaps of skin. It does kind of look like wing remnants. They may be fat storage. That may mean that little Zoey needs to eat more. No offense to you Tracey. I'm just throwing out a tip to Zoey. :wink:

BeardieMommy3991

Sub-Adult Member
Maybe Tracie will know. (Drache613) She's the most knowledgable beardie person I know. Or maybe Sweetiepie. She has tons of experience. :?

traceyb73

Sub-Adult Member
TheWerewolf":3f7nbq1d said:
Beardeds do not puff them up when they black beard. Nim's are like little flaps of skin. It does kind of look like wing remnants. They may be fat storage. That may mean that little Zoey needs to eat more. No offense to you Tracey. I'm just throwing out a tip to Zoey. :wink:
Hey now! :p I offer the little angel all she can eat. lol She's finally starting to get a little belly on her! More than she had when I got her anyway. :)

TheWerewolf

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
I know. My Nim is just so plump. :p I'm just telling Zoey that she should stop being such a picky girl.

TheWerewolf

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
It is a sign that the beardie is angry. Here is a picture. Not mine got it off the web.
220px-Bearded_Dragon_showing_beard.jpg

This is called black bearding.

TheWerewolf

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Yeah that would work, but why do inland bearded dragons have shoulder pads and coastal beardeds don't? Predator deterrent just doesn't match up. Neither does wing remnants. LOL :) Besides, the spikes deter enough. LOL, they hurt!

kcarello

Gray-bearded Member
That does it!! If Mr. Dargon won't tell you,,it is time to ask Tracie!! I will pm her, maybe she will be on later to give us a final answer..lol. Kind of don't want one,,want to see who else comes up with ideals...

Jess

Extreme Poster
I vote that they are either a way to scare off predators, or maybe a way to attract more sunlight when they bask because of the dark color.

I don't think that they are fat pads. Dudley is a chunker and he has very obvious fat stores (Armpits, head, tail base...) and the shoulders definitely aren't one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom