What are bearded dragon shoulder pads used for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReptileRy

i just read that the black shoulder pads where for showing off to another dragon, and some scientists think its for thermal regulation help.

ReptileRy

The white nails are also accompanied by lightly colored or grey shoulder pads, a normal dragon will have black shoulder pads. just read this too on tundra dragons. so many different things.. :D

TheWerewolf

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
The mystery will be solved. One day. :) And white nails and grey shoulder pads just mean that that dragon is void of black pigmentation. I believe it is called a hypo.

BeardieMommy3991

Sub-Adult Member
Oh my! :) Shoulder pads are just for storing fat is all. Unfortunately not wings or fashion statements, although that was an awesome answer! :wink: I'm pretty sure anyway. I havn't researched it in a while!

I could be wrong though. Maybe they ARE for display XD Or maybe they store water... like camals?

Also! My dragon is a hypo and has blue shoulder pads (common in hypos at times)

kcarello

Gray-bearded Member
Ha ha, I really like the wing remnant thing!!! Gonna tell the grandkids in the morning...lol. In the meantime, will try to find out for real...but I am betting it is some kind of camoflouge

kcarello

Gray-bearded Member
Wait, I do remember that it is only the inland bearded dragons that have these!!
Thats a start!!

LadyMeridius

Hatchling Member
Its to protect their shoulders when they play football? :lol:

I thought it was a protection issue ...when water rolls off the head, it seems to splash on the shoulders to the ground. :?:

Burra

Hatchling Member
I read somewhere that they are supposed to look like eyes to confuse and hopefully scare predators away.

I can't guarantee that's true, but it does seem to make sense! :wink:

TheWerewolf

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
kcarello":oc5cjw4y said:
Wait, I do remember that it is only the inland bearded dragons that have these!!
Thats a start!!

Oh! That is an excellent start kcarello. I also think what BeardieMommy said makes sense. Fat or water storage is great idea. Especially since only Inland Bearded Dragons have these. And water storage makes great sense since inland dragons don't get a chance to drink water as often as coastal dragons. Right? Anyways, I need more clues people! I can piece this mystery together. :D

P.S. I am really good at that type of stuff. Another reason for forensic entomology. :wink:

traceyb73

Sub-Adult Member
BeardieMommy3991":3ihu2gy2 said:
Oh my! :) Shoulder pads are just for storing fat is all. Unfortunately not wings or fashion statements, although that was an awesome answer! :wink: I'm pretty sure anyway. I havn't researched it in a while!

I could be wrong though. Maybe they ARE for display XD Or maybe they store water... like camals?

Also! My dragon is a hypo and has blue shoulder pads (common in hypos at times)
Just from what I see on Zoey, hers are almost flat. Do they puff these things out when they blackbeard? Zoey hasn't really done that so I don't know. :?:

traceyb73

Sub-Adult Member
Burra":2uk4bvcr said:
I read somewhere that they are supposed to look like eyes to confuse and hopefully scare predators away.

I can't guarantee that's true, but it does seem to make sense! :wink:
That makes alot of sense!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom