What a day!

So Rocky is 6 months now but based on an article I read, perhaps 8 months-
Rocky was head bobbing this evening and made me wonder if she's a boy. I think Rocky is going through puberty right now and as you can read, I am utterly confused. She saw trees and started going absolutely crazy. I wasn't afraid of her this time but I didn't like it.
She is demanding when it comes to food lately-- I mean, beating the enclosure glass.. This can't be normal.
The femoral pores are pronounced- not clogged but it's like I woke up and they were present.
I hope I didn't give her parasites as the superworms didn't look so fresh (I threw them out). Unfortunately, she got to them -Her poop was definitely different than usual- see picture. It had a huge air bubble, that was interesting and was runnier than usual. I will see what tomorrow brings.
Rocky didn't appear in pain but as she gets older and the poop gets larger, I notice that when she poops, she sits there for a moment before walking off.
Lastly, Rocky's nails are scratching me all over. She's so delicate- she let's me touch them and I tried to see what I can cut but I think it's too soon. I tried to file but nothing was happening....do I just take the love marks?
Other than that, Rocky is the same. She's basking, playing, going to bed at the same time-
I am so confused!

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Heya hey.
If your eye sight is good the nails are easy look close and you will see little hooks right at the tip just use nail clippers and clip them off. You don't have to clip them far just the tips.
As far sexing, if you have a small led light you can candle light the tail. Some leds get hot be careful not to burn Rocky. Put the light on top and gently roll the tail over her back. Look for 2 hemipenes one running parallel on each side of the tail.(lòok on the underside,its like when you looked for bones in your finger as a kid lol). The visible femorals sound like Rocky is a he.
I'm glad to hear your not scared anymore ...... PROGRESS LOL :cool:

RangoRocky

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Rango Rocky Balboa
Rango poops in his cage and as soon as he’s done he wants to come out. Even he don’t want to smell it. In terms of the food I typically know when he wants to eat and just feed him until he closes his eye 👁 which is his sign that he is done. For his nail he’s used to it now and will typically sit there and let my husband file them. We were using a nail clipper but it’s quicker/easier to file them. We use something similar to this Amazon.com

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
Rango poops in his cage and as soon as he’s done he wants to come out. Even he don’t want to smell it. In terms of the food I typically know when he wants to eat and just feed him until he closes his eye 👁 which is his sign that he is done. For his nail he’s used to it now and will typically sit there and let my husband file them. We were using a nail clipper but it’s quicker/easier to file them. We use something similar to this Amazon.com

Attachments

• 20220801_081350.jpg
    20220801_081350.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 73

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
I just noticed the poop picture didn't post- I uploaded it. Today Rocky was back to normal. No poop so I can't compare....
I did notice that when Rocky is sad because I was gone too long, s/he turns dark (like when they absorb the sun)- and as soon as I hold him/her, she turns light and is all set.

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
The poop is back to normal.
I think Rocky fell or jumped today. I was doing something and left her in the window as always...she's been doing great and I heard something but I wasn't able to respond right away. I then called out and couldn't find her. She was on the padded bench- about a foot lower than she sits, nothing broken or hurt but there is a mirror there and boy was she fighting with herself. She was black and upset. Me, who is no longer afraid, scooped her up- coddled her and put her in her enclosure. She immediately calmed down. She went to bed on time and didn't care I was around. Today SHE is thinking WHAT A DAY!

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen loves/hates seeing himself in a mirror. I just crack up at him.
From your last few posts I'm really starting to think Rocky is a boy.

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
Oh my!!!!!!!!!!!!! I tried to shine the light but I didn't have any luck...I am going to try again. Rocky turns dark every time he :D is in the enclosure. He only wants to be in there to eat and to sleep. He goes on his swing and turns dark and gives me sad eyes. I take him out, he lightens up and runs to the window and watches the world. I have more than enough (but not over stimulated) for him to do- but he wants to sit in the window.
He will walk in the direction of the enclosure when he's ready. Learning so much about this personality is amazing.

FYI- it was totally the superworms- we are back in business.
Zen loves/hates seeing himself in a mirror. I just crack up at him.
From your last few posts I'm really starting to think Rocky is a boy.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Good deal.
My girlfriend's dragon Ruby want to be out every waking minutes. She begs like crazy.
OOHHHH she laid 17 eggs last sunday!!!! (She still begs to get out though lol)

RangoRocky

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Rango Rocky Balboa
Oh my!!!!!!!!!!!!! I tried to shine the light but I didn't have any luck...I am going to try again. Rocky turns dark every time he :D is in the enclosure. He only wants to be in there to eat and to sleep. He goes on his swing and turns dark and gives me sad eyes. I take him out, he lightens up and runs to the window and watches the world. I have more than enough (but not over stimulated) for him to do- but he wants to sit in the window.
He will walk in the direction of the enclosure when he's ready. Learning so much about this personality is amazing.

FYI- it was totally the superworms- we are back in business.
So before we started letting Rango free roam he would glass surf and look like he was so depressed until I took him out. But now with his setup he goes in and come when he pleases.

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
Do you mind sharing what is the longest he will stay out? I loved how Rocky now goes to his enclosure when it's bedtime - I watch his behavior and everything is fine but I see posts about keeping beardies out too long. I understand research says 2 hours - but there's also the accessibility to light if necessary right?
I don't want to deprive Rocky of the proper lighting but he truly gets a kick out of the window and I feel like a proud parent seeing him trot to the enclosure on his own. First, he would jump and stand and wait for me- now there's a ramp and he did it by himself. So just like bedtime, I am guess if Rocky needed more light, he would head on back. However, I am the caregiver so I get it....
I have brought the light to Rocky but I must admit on a very sunny day, I didn't-

Jjurovaty

Photo Comp Winner
Not sure what the proper response is on time out of enclosure, but I had my dragons for 12 years, and they traveled cross country in my car. They got sunlight, and always got plenty of vitamins and nutrients. I think after they're a year or so, they're more durable than some may think. I'm mainly responding because I think it's SO awesome that you let him/her roam and have a ramp so they can get back in the tank voluntarily! My babies had free roam through a few of our living situations and they were wild kids! I promote free roam and good for you for researching and learning! Post some pics of Rocky!

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
Not sure what the proper response is on time out of enclosure, but I had my dragons for 12 years, and they traveled cross country in my car. They got sunlight, and always got plenty of vitamins and nutrients. I think after they're a year or so, they're more durable than some may think. I'm mainly responding because I think it's SO awesome that you let him/her roam and have a ramp so they can get back in the tank voluntarily! My babies had free roam through a few of our living situations and they were wild kids! I promote free roam and good for you for researching and learning! Post some pics of Rocky!
Thank you for your reply! There are pictures throughout my posts but here's a picture of Rocky enjoying his best life!

Attachments

• 20220724_131149.jpg
    20220724_131149.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 73

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
I've just got one word..... SPOOOIIIILLLEEEDDD lol

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom