what 18 inch light fixture

Status
Not open for further replies.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Zilla Slimline is probably the most commonly available 18'' T8 fixture in the US. It's probably a good idea to replace the bulb with a T8 ReptiSun 10.0 though. Those fixtures come with a piece of clear plastic over the bulb that needs to be removed before using it, otherwise the plastic will intercept all of the UVB. The optimal distance for these fixture/bulb combination is about 6-8'' above the main basking area - so they're best suited for small enclosures.

Moved by moderator from Off Topic to Enclosures.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm not a big fan of using those because they don't have reflectors built into them. The reflector that sits behind the bulb on a reptile specific or grow light fixtures helps direct more of the UVB downward from the fixture, increasing its effective output. This is especially important with the weaker T8 fixtures/bulbs.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Looking at the cost of a T8 vs T5, a T8 might not be the most cost effective solution. A T5 bulb is stronger and requires replacement less frequently (roughly every 6mo for a T8 vs roughly 1yr+ for a T5 bulb).
It also depends on the distance you need to reach in order to provide adequate UVB. The optimal distance for a T5 fixture with a ReptiSun 5.0 bulb is around 6-8'' - about the same as a T8 - while the T5 with a ReptiSun 10.0 bulb has an optimal distance of around 12-14'' or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom