What’s wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I have a male beardie who’s 8 yrs old. With in the past year or so he does not respond to any food on his own, greens or live and is not active like he was before.
He is alert and and weight is still good. He does not go to the bathroom often as much as before but will go after long periods.
He has a 40 gallon, a UVB tube 10 T5 HO on top of his screen and 100 w basking bulb.
Temps 95-97.
I have taken him to Dr and they said with age can become less activiness but over all he seemed healthy. I try to take him out every other day and it takes a moment or two but he does walk around.
Is there anything else I can do or is this just old age possibly?
Sorry with the stink eye he’s giving lol but here’s my set up and Lochlin.
Jodi

Attachments

• A7E11EBF-7198-4C22-85EC-B9DE9A003F0E.jpeg
    A7E11EBF-7198-4C22-85EC-B9DE9A003F0E.jpeg
    190.3 KB · Views: 119
  • 126C3928-CAE2-43C8-AE1F-217DEFAFB846.jpeg
    126C3928-CAE2-43C8-AE1F-217DEFAFB846.jpeg
    168.4 KB · Views: 84
  • 16A902C7-B20E-4C97-BEC9-AED5170648FF.jpeg
    16A902C7-B20E-4C97-BEC9-AED5170648FF.jpeg
    254.8 KB · Views: 92
  • 87E57959-4D17-49C0-8DEE-A42836853D0D.jpeg
    87E57959-4D17-49C0-8DEE-A42836853D0D.jpeg
    215.5 KB · Views: 98

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi I have a male beardie who’s 8 yrs old. With in the past year or so he does not respond to any food on his own, greens or live and is not active like he was before.
He is alert and and weight is still good. He does not go to the bathroom often as much as before but will go after long periods.
He has a 40 gallon, a UVB tube 10 T5 HO on top of his screen and 100 w basking bulb.
Temps 95-97.
I have taken him to Dr and they said with age can become less activiness but over all he seemed healthy. I try to take him out every other day and it takes a moment or two but he does walk around.
Is there anything else I can do or is this just old age possibly?
Sorry with the stink eye he’s giving lol but here’s my set up and Lochlin.
Jodi
Your dragon is lacking uvb the screen is blocking too much of the rays-- please get it unobstructed and have a piece of basking decor directly underneath- 12-15 inches then watch his behavior-

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Jodi, Lochlin looks like a sweet boy ! He does seem tired there just hanging out on his rock, he's a bit chubby as well. Along with the adjusted positioning of the uvb bulb make sure he's hydrated. Does he drink at all ? You can soak him for 10 minutes in shallow lukewarm water and trickle water on his snout slowly to see if he'll drink. If he hates being soaked you can just drip water on his snout slowly in his tank to see if he'll drink. It may take a few minutes but it usually works.

dragonmamax3

Original Poster
Hi Jodi, Lochlin looks like a sweet boy ! He does seem tired there just hanging out on his rock, he's a bit chubby as well. Along with the adjusted positioning of the uvb bulb make sure he's hydrated. Does he drink at all ? You can soak him for 10 minutes in shallow lukewarm water and trickle water on his snout slowly to see if he'll drink. If he hates being soaked you can just drip water on his snout slowly in his tank to see if he'll drink. It may take a few minutes but it usually works.

dragonmamax3

Original Poster
18019836-6C5B-43E8-ACDB-402828B0ED4C.jpeg
I give him 15 Luke warm baths on Sunday and Wednesday plus spray him every other day. During his baths I do the trickle of water on his snout but rarely drinks it.
He does not drink the water usually like he use too.
Now when I got him 4 years ago I was told to get a UVB light that fits the whole length of the vivarium but now I’m reading you should only do half? Do you know if that’s right?
Also that that basking light and UVB close to each other and now I’m hearing not too?
Does tithe lighting set up look ok and I took the mesh off.

dragonmamax3

Original Poster
Your dragon is lacking uvb the screen is blocking too much of the rays-- please get it unobstructed and have a piece of basking decor directly underneath- 12-15 inches then watch his behavior-
I took the mesh screen off and do have it directly underneath on the side. Is that ok?

Attachments

• DB54623C-8843-4637-B1E7-35BD5D946DAE.jpeg
    DB54623C-8843-4637-B1E7-35BD5D946DAE.jpeg
    188.2 KB · Views: 87

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes , the uvb can span the entire cage and it should be near the basking bulb so it looks good. :) They can get out of the uvb by going to the lower areas of the tank or under some decor if the want, just like in the wild.

dragonmamax3

Original Poster
Yes , the uvb can span the entire cage and it should be near the basking bulb so it looks good. :) They can get out of the uvb by going to the lower areas of the tank or under some decor if the want, just like in the wild.
Thanks for all your help. Appreciate it!!😉👍

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abby999
Top Bottom